We're listening to Christmas music around here (post Halloween is my kick-off, but I've been known to listen to a cd or two in July . . . I love it too much to limit myself to one month of the year). Today in the car, "Chestnuts Roasting" was playing (a nice Diana Krall version); Leah was stumped and bewildered after the "a turkey and some mistletoe help to make the season bright" part . . . she blurted out, "a turkey with a missing toe?" Yes, that could be posted in the Reader's Digest and win me a few hundred, but I thought I'd just keep it for Darlybird readers.
We had our Primary Program over a week ago, and Leah is used to singing all of these cute church songs. The other night, she was in the family room alone, singing. The tune was all her own and so were the words. Fortunately I was poised with pen and paper: "Jesus Christ, I know it's you. The love of your spirit, it couldn't be true. I know how you have the scriptures and how you know it's true." I busted up laughing. And then I thought, "what couldn't be true?" Uh, oh.
11.20.2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
blue bird is great
didn't you mean purple bird?
Thanks for the laugh. I can't wait until I and B start talking about I can listen in on their conversations (or songs, as the case may be). I hope I'm as quick to jot them down as you have been. I especially liked the text of her song. Lovely.
My family had a rule for my dad, from April to July, no Christmas music!
I love the song, so cute! Kids are so creative and mysterious at the same time.
I'm so glad you had pen and paper handy! I love the song!!
In my head that song is to the tune of:
Why do you love me?
Why do you need me?
Always and forever.
Always and forever.
Thanks for sharing the turkey with a missing toe lyrics. I will sing it that way from now on!
That poor turkey.
i have been listening christmas music too becuase i have to prep myself for christmas here in the 90 degree weather...are you going home for christmas?
you better believe i am.
Too funny!! Ev makes up primary songs too! He asks me if I can talk to the Chorister and have her teach the kids his songs. They're usually just as random as Leah's, with a spiritual flair.
This totally made me laugh. It made me think of when I was a kid and didn't know how to sing things but thought I knew what I was doing. "I hope that Commie's on a mission."
yeah.
Leah is lovely.
Will you ever post again? I miss you!
Post a Comment