7.11.2006

Many Random Things

Jon and I just ended a 7-week period of pretty much constant visitors or house-guests. Although I must admit that it does feel nice to reclaim our domain, I also have this feeling of "uh-oh, when are we gonna get more friends in here?" I love friends. I love visitors. So I'm pimpin' our pad out to a few specific individuals (mainly in my family), and you're all welcome, too. Unless you're a greasy 65 year-old cyberstalker on the Megan's Law list.

***************************************************************************************

I also must admit that I almost cried at the end of my new favorite movie. Not because it was sad or terribly moving, but because it was OVER! So I realized that if I liked it enough to mourn the ending, I better plug it publicly. That movie is: LONG WAY ROUND. Let me tell you the general premise:

Ewan McGregor and his buddy Charlie drive around the world on motorcycles. That's it. But it's so amazing to see their adventures and their pitfalls and especially the interesting people they come across---especially in Kazakstan (which I'm sure I just misspelled) and Mongolia and Russia. It is a documentary, essentially, with 7 episodes. I netflix-ed it. You must netflix it. It is freakin' hilarous in many parts. And suspenseful and crazy. But beware---they're from the UK and they drop the f-bomb several times, so if you're language-sensitive, just pretend they're saying something else. It's not rated and even if it was I would deem it worth bending rules.

One more thing: Long Way Round cemented my crush on Ewan. I have been holding out a candle for him since Moulin Rouge (I think Obi Wan is HIDEOUS, so not that Ewan) and I just had to tell myself that the real Ewan wasn't that cool. But he is. He is a sensitive new-age man. Jon knows about my crush and has admitted to having one on him, too. So it's all good.

*********************************************************************************

Random Business Plugs:

My friend Emily Ann a.k.a. Eroo has started making the super-coolist bracelets. She has a blog devoted to them. And I'm going to link to it as soon as I remember the correct url. Just a second. OK. Here they are! I have the vintage luggage tag with gold metallic accents and the comic book one. What's yours going to have?

My sister Susannah is starting a super-cool clothing line called Pronk. You can read all about it. She uses exquisite materials and there is a ton of hand stitching, embroidery, smocking, etc. on the items. They are manufactured in Madagascar. They are amazing. They would fit well in Anthropologie, if you like that style. Not Target. Not Forever 21. Not some hoochie boutique. These are quality items, friends. And beautiful.

And oh yeah, I'm almost ready to start taking orders on darlybird the biz. I'm excited and slightly nervous. But I think it's lookin' good. You can email me product suggestions, or just any other suggestions at rachel@darlybird.com

*************************************************************************************

Lastly but not leastly, my parents are returning from Madagascar via Paris on Thursday after 3 long years there. They did an amazing job as mission presidents and they are DONE! And hallelujah for that!

10 comments:

kristib said...

Tyler and I watched 4 or 5 episodes of Long Way Round when it was on TV and we both loved it too. I don't know what happened to the rest of them...we'll have to catch up at some point. Thanks for the reminder! And congrats on getting your darlybird website up and running.

Bek said...

The site looks AWESOME!!

I can't wait to buy...and now Susannah.....I am going to be broke.

Lindy Johnson said...

You go girl! i'm super proud of all your hardwork! the site looks fabulous and i will be ordering soon!

LollyGirl said...

Wow, great darlybird blog night. I've spent way too much time checking out all the goods! Such fun and fashion on all three accounts (darlybird, Pronk, and Evlove). I can't wait to spread the word.

Thanks for sharing and how exciting that darlybird is almost ready to launch!!

Becca said...

chi, thanks for sharing about pronk! i'm hoping to call you within the next 1/2 hour, i was so happy to hear you on the machine!

Carina said...

The Pronk things are just beautiful. Maybe next season they'll have some more scoop neck-y things for those of us who can't pull off high necks (but wish we could--they are so elegant!)

I'm eyeing one of those growth charts.

Lisa said...

Your site is incredible! I've already made a wish list. . . I don't knwo if you've sent out your cards yet, but I'd love to pass them along--

Rachel said...

Lisa--

I'd love to send some to you to pass out. email me at rachel@darlybird.com and give me your address. I actually haven't sent any out yet. i'm a bit behind, but that's what you get when you're trying to do this without childcare help! argh! my babysitters are on perma-vacation!

Natalie said...

I have to netflix that movie too...my curiosity is peaked now.

I keep checking your site too. I'm so impressed with what you come up with. I can't wait to shop. You need to send me some cards. I've got lots of people I could give them to.

Carina said...

p.s. I hope that the return of the good and faithful servants means more trips to Utah in the future.