So yesterday was my birthday. 30. I don't know why, but I felt it necessary to tell almost everyone--including complete strangers--that I was 30. Leah's preschool teacher found out, the bagger at Safeway who wheeled my cart out to the car, and Elmer at DI who tried to console me after the fabulous mid-century couch that I came back to buy had been snatched up just 30 minutes prior. I didn't earn the nickname "emotional slut" way back when for nothing. Actually, I gave myself that nickname, but it caught on like wildfire around the inner sanctum.
I've never really dreaded these turning points. I know people who sobbed on their 30th because they felt some sort of loss and the need to grieve. I am happily saying 'hasta' to the 20s and the many interesting experiences of them. My 20s weren't bad, in fact they were a downright monumental decade (college, marriage, teaching career, two children, homes, starting a business), but I'm ready to settle into the 30s and realize that I probably won't have as many life-altering changes in this decade as I did in the last. And that is comforting, because although I crave and relish the little changes in life (hairstyle, furnishings, restaurant choice, etc.), I could win the WORLD'S LEAST GRACEFUL LIFE CHANGER award hands down.
I have a fabulous friend/soul sister/sister in Zion who turned 30 last month. She made it a beautiful and thoughtful occasion. She thought about what she wanted to do (i.e. have kids, make delicious food, buy a house) in the future and then celebrated each goal symbolically. I didn't have the forethought to make mine so amazing, but that's okay because it turned out pretty great anyway.
Although Jonnie decided that birthday week was preposterous, he surprised me with "birthday 3 days." So I received a beautiful bouquet of roses on Tuesday, a 4 gig nano ipod and the nicest card he's ever written me on Wednesday, and I think today is See's Chocolates. (Hoping, hoping, hoping.) I like 3 days for thirty. Maybe I'll get birthday week when I turn 70 . . .
Yesterday I talked to/spent time with many of my favorite people--you know who you are--and I think I kind of had this little smile inside all day, knowing that I had a secret----actually, it wasn't quite a secret because I felt obliged to tell everyone and their . . . , but you get the picture. It was cause for continual internal smile.
In the spirit of retrospection, I thought about some of my experiences over the last 3 decades and realized that I've experienced some amazing adventures, beautiful friendships, intense trials, hilarious escapades, and the comfort of a wonderful family from whom I came and a wonderful family of which I am co-captain. It's been a good 30 years. I have been abundantly blessed. Thanks!
And so 30. I woke up this morning and felt pretty grown up, but still pretty young. I'm legit, but I still have a few free-passes to be slightly foolish. No longer a 20-something wanderer? I feel re-inspired to live life to the fullest, and be deliberate in all of my actions. It's nice.
So I'm taking a deep breath and ushering in a new decade of renewed and continuing relationships, healthy lifestyle choices (although I don't think I'll be giving up my diet pepsi habit any time soon), deliberate decisions, exciting adventures, and renewed spirituality. It's refreshing. And although I'm perfectly pleased to be living in the here and now, I can't help but look a little forward to "birthday 4 days" celebration and what life will look like from that vantage point. Isn't life exciting?
6.29.2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Our 30s are going to be the best decade ever. Leave those 20s behind!
I'm crossing my fingers for you on the See's Chocolate--YUM.
lovely post :)
Happy Birthday!
Happy Happy Birthday Rachel, dear!! I've been loving my 30's so far. I love how it's a whole process for you. I honestly cannot remember what I was feeling when I turned 30. I know I was massively pregnant, getting ready to move across the country, and in a state of panic over that...thus, turning 30 was the least of my worries.
See's has been a good friend of mine lately. John's been bringing a box home for me everytime he goes to San Fran. Is that good or bad?
It was great to help you usher in a new decade. It gives me a few ideas for my 29th. Maybe I can have 2.9 days of celebration?
Happy Birthday! I'm glad you are making sure you get pampered! You deserve it!
I just my 33 B-day at the begining of this month. My husband always asks if this is my "b-day month" because I never stop celebrating it. 30's are great. You will love it. You really start to feel comfortable in your own skin. So what day is your actual b-day? Annie
P.S. Are we ever really going to get together? We can have Diet Pepsi and See's, while we make our children eat something healthy!
annie--
BRING IT ON! (diet pepsi and see's). Let's plan something for the week after the 4th.
Happy Birthday Rach!
I've never thought of birthday week, but I like it. I do always try to get some excitement going on my half birthday, but no one else seems very enthusiastic. Glad yours was great!
The night before I turned 30 I had a total meltdown, but then my birthday was wonderful. 30s are a great time, but I had to laugh when you said you wouldn't have as many life-altering changes in this next decade. I get what you mean, but it still makes me smile. I only had one boyfriend during the whole of my 30s (as opposed to . . . ack!. . . in my 20s) and fewer moves, etc., but it still turned out to be a rockin' and reelin' decade. I'll check back with you in ten years and see how yours turned out.
you're all right----i know i'm in for some doozies still, but i can't help but think that i'll never have a first marriage again (and most definitely hopefully not a second), never have a first child again, never have a first day as a teacher, etc. i'm sure there are lots of other firsts. BRING EM ON!
Post a Comment