6.25.2006

Razor Blades and Birthday Week

Just a quickie. I have to capture one of Esther's more insane maneuvers in her whole lifetime from just this week:

I'm working on the computer, Jon is doing dishes. Leah is playing Pollys or ponies or Groovy Girls or making a CareBear motorhome out of blocks, and Esther, who doesn't really like to play, but rather explore and terrorize, was doing the usual. And since the only bathroom that currently has a toilet installed was closed up tight, I thought all was well in the universe . . .

Until I heard Jon scream bloody murder. He never screams, let alone a bloody scream. And then he said, "ESTHER HAS RAZOR BLADES!" My first thought? "What in the hell?" (Long e on 'the'---it sounds more deliberate and white trash.) I ran from the "office" to the scene of doom. Blood pools everywhere. Esther screaming. Four five-inch razor blades, covered in blood, on the floor. Me lightheaded and wondering if my child is going to bleed to death right then and right there. Is this 9-1-1 worthy? Jon says no.

I quickly got some slightly damp rags and we each took a hand and held her in a vice clamp (legs wrapped around her squirrely body) and applied direct pressure to her four bloody fingers. For one whole hour. They would NOT stop bleeding. Somewhere in that process I told Jon I had to leave for a few minutes. (Things like this make my anxiety issues flare--just a tad, let's say--and it brings out the 'flight' reflex in me.)

So, all's well that ends well. Esther's fingers finally stopped bleeding long enough for us to put some bandages on them. She stopped crying, and we were able to get her to sleep. She slept like a rock after the trauma of the incident.

And why, you may ask, did an 18 month old have access to five-inch razor blades? She's a rascal. And we're (Jon?) careless. During our bathroom remodel---which hasn't seen any action in over two weeks---"we" used razor blades and left them in a pretty accessible place. OOPS! Good thing it was just 4 fingers!

Funny sidenote: While this was all happening, our very concerned and very agro Stake Primary President called and left a message asking why I wasn't at a meeting that I was supposed to be at and had NO intention of going to. I didn't take the call because I was preoccupied, but after everything was taken care of, I called her back and left a short message on her cell, which I later realized seemed a little creepy: "Hi, J. I'm sorry I didn't make it to the meeting, but my daughter just cut herself with razor blades and I had to take care of that." Sure enough, I got a consolation phone call a few minutes later, in which I cleared everything up. Made for a dramatic excuse.

And then, because it was 106 freakin' degrees here, we drove to Monterey. Actually, it was just a coincidence that it was 106 degrees and Monterey was a balmy and beautiful 60-80 degrees. The real reason we went to Monterey for two nights? It's birthday week for yours truly. And not just ANY birthday. The dawning of a new decade. I'm turning 30. (Wait, do you not start the new decade until you're 31? I remember the whole Millenium debacle when everyone kept saying, "Actually, the new millenium doesn't start until 2001." I always wanted to say, "who in the--long e--hell cares? Let us have our excitement, ex lax." Or something of that nature. So, if you were thinking, "it technically isn't a new decade until you're 31" (or is it? i'm still totally confused), repeat the question about 3 or 4 sentences back and you'll see how much I care about your trivia.) Wow. That was abusive and downright negative. So birthday week begins, and I think I'm the only one celebrating. I told Jon of my birthday week idea, and he thinks it's absolutely preposterous. Well, too bad, because I'm just going to have to pamper myself since he won't. And I'm decent at that.

By the way, Monterey was beautiful, Carmel? fabulous----if you haven't been there, please GO. And our friends we got to see? Welcoming, hospitable, and very very very fun. (Hi Lolly Girl, miss you already!)

So don't cry for me Argentina, about razor blades or the jon's lack of commitment to birthday week, because I went to Monterey and that will keep me refreshed for about 8.5 hours from now, when I have to wake up and take care of the screaming gypsies (my lovely daughters). Woe is my wonderful life! Waaa, waaaa, waaaaa............................

oh yeah, one more thing: please join my prayers that we didn't get poison oak on our Point Lobos nature walks this morning. Leah and I were touching and naming all of the wildflowers we saw: "puffer bellies," "spikey soft," "purple dragon," "orange dragon," "white dragon," "yellow dragon" (do you see a pattern here?) until the cute little docent man showed us what poison oak looked like and we realized that it was the majority of plantlife on our hikes. I am itching, but praying that it is more of a mental state than a physical one.

*I just re-read sentence number one: "just a quicky." Oops. Guess I'm longwinded tonite.

8 comments:

HornInFBb said...

oh yikes, I'm squirming just thinking about the cuts!

a couple weeks back, Em got my sweetie's razor (Mach 3 or whatever) and popped the razor part off of the handle, and put that 2" section in her mouth! but no cuts. Anxiety-provoking is exactly right!

Bluebell said...

Love reading about your life! Somehow you make it all sound so fun. ;) Of course, I've always thought you are one of the funnest people I know. Glad Estie didn't bleed to death on you. Meagan Ahlstrom got her fingers slammed in the hinge-side of the bathroom door and had two finger-tips hanging by a thread from below the nail. They got stitched back together and she's good to go but what a fright! We went to Point Lobos a couple years ago--it's beautiful! Happy Birthday and I'm glad you got to visit Lolly. And I have had poison oak quite severely several times. If it's been more than 24 hours and you don't have oily red blisters popping out, you're probably fine. If you do, get your buns to the clinic 'cause they'll give you a couple shots in the butt to help (my cases have always been so bad, I need steroids to help it along, and even then it takes a good three weeks to go away. I'm itching just thinking about it). Love ya!

Becca said...

chi, was monterey a solo trip? i can't believe the razor incident! how did leah react to the trauma? i'm still wracking my brains for a bday present worthy of you and your new decade (which, btw, i think starts now).

Lindy Johnson said...

the razor incident sounds harrowing! mr. b had a little accident himself this weekend: he was strapped in his stroller, but it was on an incline and while i turned my back, the stroller rolled down the sidewalk and tipped over! he has a huge goose egg on his noggin', but other than that he is fine. i think it's a miracle that anyone comes out of childhood alive!

Carina said...

My friend's husband was found one day, when he was about 1, on the bathroom countertop "SHAVING" his tongue with his dad's razor. Copious blood. So, you weren't the first and won't be the last :)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Hooray, we're 30!

I am still considering a Bay Area trip, but especially on the off chance I can make it to Carmel/Monterrey. How lucky that you are close enough to go at the drop of the hat.

Carina said...

p.s. Lou, I shut my son's fingers in my bedroom door Friday morning. In my defense I didn't have any corrective eyewear on, but hearing the soft close of the door plus that silent cry of pain, plus the following audible equivalent, equaled AWFUL guilt and empathy for the little guy.

Our poor kids, they're lucky to make it out of childhood despite our parenting ;)

stina said...

Wow! I totally have the willies just thinking about the razors. And Happy Birthday to you!! I've been longing to get to the ocean. SOunds fun!

Natalie said...

Happy Birthday Rachel! You can now finally join me in the "30 somethings".

I'm so glad E is alright...that's got to be the scariest thing in the world to see. I can't even imagine (literally, if I do, I might pass out). I once found Al showing a knife to Ev, he'd gotten out of the dishwasher. Luckily no blood to show in this incident.

Monterey sounds fabulous! I can smell the air right now. Aaahhhh!