Yes. We're back. And yes, we did have some great moments in Utah. However, I just need to vent about why my life half-sucks for the next few minutes, and then I'll move on and be happy as a something. (Why clam? Is there something I'm missing?)
*Leah fell ill on Christmas Eve--like 105 degrees ill. Spent an hour plus in the ER listening to Dr. S. tell me that I should come back when she hits 107. Doesn't that usually signal death, coma, or seizure? Thanks, Doc S. I hope we get you next time we come to the E.R. (He was nice, and I did enjoy asking him a few feeler questions to find out how crazy our "extended neighborhood" really is, but 107?)
*We got stuck near Truckee on I-80 for 3 hours on Christmas night en route to the famous Utah. Leah was barfing and delirious. Esther was screaming and delirious. Jon and I were just plain delirious. We couldn't find anything to eat. We traveled an extra 20 minutes to find a Taco Bell that someone at Chevron said they heard on the radio was the only joint open in Reno. Closed. We did, however, score Wendy's drive-thru in Carlin, NV, where the guy we ordered from inadvertantly told us that the guy in the van behind us (my bro-in-law) was a moron--they were having MAJOR headset/speaker issues that night. When I told him that was my bro-in-law and simaltaneoulsy handed him the $3.00-Christmas-night-Wendy's-drive-thru-guy tip (downsized quickly by a dollar after that comment), he profusely apologized. Sorry, it didn't win you your extra dollar back, buddy!
*I somehow manage to offend a few people on day 2. My "gentle honesty" policy isn't working these days.
*Esther wakes up grumpy and gagging on day 3. Is she barfing? Trying to. That makes two excessively whining children and two excessively grumpy/exhausted parents.
*Rachel goes to bed at 2:30 am on day 4 with a near-fainting spell, swollen glands, and chills. She wakes up on day 5 with full-blown something----stuffy head, chills, sore body, runny and alternatively stuffy nose, FLU? Thanks, darling daughters! I can now feel your pain.
*Rachel goes to PF Changs for family adults-only dinner despite illness, and ends up openly sobbing due to illness, exhaustion, and other generalized and unknown issues. (Thanks, Joe and Leah, for saving the day with your medicines and back rubs....)
*Today, Rachel realizes she's kooky for using 3rd person in blog post.
*I checked weather.com before leaving on day 7, and found out that our 10-hour trip home was going to be altered..."80 closed in both directions, 12-24 inches of snow expected. Rock slides, mud slides. Carry water and heavy blankets." No thanks. I-15 will do--with heavy and heinous Vegas traffic; the crustiest Burger King bathroom known to mankind; rubbing Leah's sore butt cheeks from sitting so long; playing the "i-told-you-we-should've-bought-a-dvd-player" card to jon as we passed many an suv or minivan with built-in movies, and i'm sure, perfectly content children; listening to Esther's jurassic screams of desperation; monsoon rains; and thankfully, a little cardboard box of red vines.
*Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that my sickness brought with it: 3 disgusting cold sores, 2 big fat zits, and a partridge in a pear tree. My face is a war zone.
*So I was ticked today, looking at the spoils of our pre-christmas scramble to get off and away on our "vacation." Wrapping paper scraps and silver ribbons are stashed here and there in the office, our tree, majestically dead, in the peace room.....I wish I could snap my fingers and it would all go away.
BUT--as I was wallowing in my self-pity and trying to figure out why this new year seemed so tragically flawed already, I went to the bathroom and (sorry for the details, but they're so tantamount to this experience!) noticed my "rainbow of deliverance" (thanks marge piercy for the line). Oh, so this is why I have so many zits and I'm feeling bloated, and I've got low-grade anger towards my husband and children? Oh. That's it. I guess I can be happy now. And it was almost that simple. Until I got mad that it was so obvious that I am a victim of my hormones. And now I think I want to ask Susannah to give me back the Bath and Body Works PMS Kit that I gave her last week for her birthday. I think I'm the new queen of that scene.
And so, my dear friends, I had a LOVELY time in Utah, filled with some wonderfully remarkable moments. And, to do them their own justice, I will write them in their own post, not mingled with this debbie-downer-ness. over and out.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
chi, i am totally pitying you right now! when you add up all those nasty events it really does equal heinosity! but, i loved staying up with you until 2:30 am, even if you were a little delirious! p.s. did you make it to the french bakery for an almond croissant?
ummm...we were on our way, almost immediately after we said goodbye to you guys, but alas, that was one of my edited sadnesses--said french bakery was closed from 12/25 until today. so go eat one in my honor and tell them they better get ready for chi in february. cuz i'm gonna eat them out of house and home.
oh--and my next post WILL be devoted to the lovely time i had with so many fabulous people, namely you, lindy lou!
Nest year come to LA and we can celebrate the Tournament of Roses Parade in 70 degree weather with blue skies and then we can drive home watching DVD's.
Oh Rachel...I'm getting anxiety butterflies just thinking about your trip. Your experience just reaffirms why I LOVED staying home for christmas this year. I remember one year driving to utah and it taking 10 hours to make it through the dreaded sierras. I think I was pregnant at the time. Absolute misery. Yours sounds many times worse.
I think I forgot to tell you I finally got a minivan....and it has a DVD player (sorry, I don't mean to rub it in)....but I just have to tell you...ITS THE NEXT BEST THING TO BINKIES!!! Having movies on demand for the kids has changed those long rides to IKEA from a fist-clenching stress headache to relaxed mama, enjoying the sounds of my favorite CD's (the kids have headphones). JON....GET THE GIRLS A DVD PLAYER FOR PETE'S SAKE!!! (I'm not sure who pete...maybe he's the guy who has happy clams).
Okay, I'm rambling. Anyway, Rachel...sorry you had to endure all that. I can't even imagine. Somehow you manage to pull through even the most hideous of circumstances. Hope you're all feeling much better now....happier new year to you.
Ahhh that low grade anger. Always gives it away.
I'm not a DVD player in car person, but they are a must for long car trips. Maybe one of those small portables will do for next time? Good sales right now.
Hey indian giver, my need for the "kit" is rounding the bend again all too soon. But I will share it. It's so precious that I almost don't want to use it but that doesn't make sense and life isn't a dress rehearsal.....
xo
Sus
Post a Comment