I'll never forget coming across this poem in my portfolio of school work that my parents had saved over the years. I was doing some "cleaning out"--which usually entails me getting so wrapped up in memories and sentimentality that the cleaning out never happens--i just make a bigger mess and spend all of my time reminiscing. I think I was 18 when I discovered this little gem, written in my 3rd grade cursive scrawl. When I re-read it for the first time, I definitely felt shivers...I love imagining my 3rd grade self writing this--and it getting lost and forgotten--and then my 18 year-old self re-discovering it just in time! The funny thing is that I totally feel these sentiments today; if I tried to write a poem about it now, it would end up much more contrived, awkward, self-aware....and so I don't try, but just sit back and enjoy what happened un-self-consciously in my 3rd grade mind. Special thanks goes out to becca claire who immortalized this poem on letterpress and gave it to me for a gift.
Beauty
Beauty is seen
In the sunlight,
The trees, the birds,
Corn growing and people working
Or dancing for their harvest.
Beauty is heard
In the night,
Wind sighing, rain falling,
Or a singer chanting.
Anything in earnest.
Beauty is in yourself.
Good deeds, happy thoughts,
That repeat themselves,
In your dreams,
In your work,
And even in your rest.
--Rachel Laura Harmon 3rd grade
(and don't ask me how i knew what 'earnest' was when i was in 3rd grade. i'm obviously brilliant and i have extremely bright parents!)
12.20.2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I remember you showing me that poem a while ago. I love it. I still can't believe a 3rd grader wrote it. If it were me in 3rd grade, I'm sure mine would have sounded something like this: "Beauty is a pretty princess with golden hair, riding on a white unicorn, flying over a rainbow....blah, blah, blah".
Your 3rd grade person was obviously very intellectual and creative. Amusing and impressive, indeed.
I remember that poem very well. I love it. I would be proud to have written something like that NOW, as an adult, let alone to have written it as a child. "Out of the mouths of babes" come profundities.
Even reading it now, I can't believe you wrote that in 3rd grade . . . And I was recently in the presence of multiple 3rd graders because I went to Raya and Saul's school Christmas program last night!
Post a Comment