an outlet, an inlet, a time-suck, something to look forward to, an oh-my-gosh-did-i-just-make-that-public? platform...basically my life in a nutshell. welcome.
1.12.2006
new spring outfit for leah, purchased at d.i. for $2 total. I love d.i.
Here's a tip: look for extra nice knives in the cutlery bins. People throw out amazingly good chefs knives (triple riveted, full tang) for who knows what reason. You can get $200 knives for $2.00
actually, nie nie, i have a d.i. about 3 miles away from my house here in sacto. i did go when i was in provo, but was totally disappointed by both price and selection. the other day i purchased a full set (of 10 ea. utensil!) of fiesta ware silverware (turquoise handles, very 1960s vintage) for $5, 3 skirts for the girls, 4 pairs of pants, a goofy giggles remote control, a pair of ecco shoes for jonnie in fab condition, 2 pairs of shoes for the girls, 3 spring dresses, and the list goes on. i even took a pic to document my loot. oh yeah, the total price tag was $29.00. i call an outing like that pure BLISS!
oh--i also want your haircut, nie nie. it's so cute in the pics with oliver. i think i'm going to print off a few of your pics and take them to my appt on the 17th. do you mind?
rachel. they have a di in CA? i had no idea. actually i was being a brat and kind of making fun of carina because she called it "the" di. and my husband and i always say that to each other. for example:
"Hey honey do you want to go to THE byu? and after we could go to THE krispy kreme and get a donut"
I am a stinker.
I really need to get into the second-hand shopping business. I enjoy looking on e-bay, but that is the extent of that. Take some pics of your goods...I'd love to see your fiesta ware--love it, and ecco shoes...in good condition? Thats so dang awesome!
Good luck with the haircut! Send a picture of that when you get it done! I hate getting my haircut, I always cry after I get it done. (Until I asked my husband to do it, now I can really tell him what I want!)
I've only been inside a DI once. But you've convinced me to make it a priorty stop next time we're in the area. I miss the days of thrift shopping unencumbered by kids.
Oh but Stephanie, that's why I say it. It sounds so funny. I hear an old woman's voice inside my head (Norma's great aunt?) whenever "The" is added in front of a proper noun where it is not needed. Is there anything more amusing than hearing it for real? I submit that there is NOT!
There are no DI's in Palo Alto, but I did live across the street from Goodwill. BEST STORE EVER!!! This is a very wealthy area and so lots of really good stuff gets pitched (not like some DI"s that I have seen in Utah where nothing goes until it has been used by you, your sister, your cousing and the neighbor..) We used to walk across the street when Lu was little. She called it the "hold the baby" store, because I let her choose one baby to play with while we were there!! We often see things like Antropologe, Polo, Jack and Jane, etc. Great kids clothes. The best part is that the only other people that tend to shop there are the Latina's. They are a totally different body shape then me and want different clothes for their kids so it is a wide open field!!
My best purchases this month: Joan and David Suede boots, Enzo Mary Jane Pumps, PBK mirror. :-)
Carina--my dad is kind of obsessive about finding knives at the thrift store. He always finds me Wustoff knives. He has DRAWERS full of knives. Any time we go home he trys to pawn off some knives on us. It's cute.
You Utah folks should check out the thrift store in Heber. It is only on Wednedsay and Saturday am, but it is great (this one is known as the Stuffed Up Animal store)There is no Goodwill/DI in Park City. All the stuff left at the hotels and donations from all the folks there goes into barrels that get taken to the Heber store. It is run by the local Catholic church. We get all kinds of stuff there.....
Hi Nie Nie.....I think that is great that your husband cuts your hair. My friend out here goes to a barber b/c the hairdressers never do it right. Her's is short like yours...funny....
bek--you hit it right on the head with the "let me beat this item into the ground and then use it as a diaper wipe before i donate it to d.i." mentality that seems to prevail in "the UT." except for the 100% cashmere salmon-colored J.Crew for kids cabled sweater I found for $4 for my niece Gwen. Too beautiful to resist. Someone must have donated it on accident!
Bek, I'd love to know where that goodwill is so we can check it out. If I'm less than an hour away from such deals, I've got to be there!
Rachel, we rushed in and out of DI on saturday- sorry there ws no time to call you! I only had time for the baby area- got a couple blue dresses for Em to grow into ($1 each) and a doll (.50). I was surprised how much it looked like a regular store inside. I felt like I was in Ross. And the prices were even lower than I expected. But the brands... I felt like maybe the crowds had fished out all the great finds already.
13 comments:
Cute shirt!
I love The DI.
Here's a tip: look for extra nice knives in the cutlery bins. People throw out amazingly good chefs knives (triple riveted, full tang) for who knows what reason. You can get $200 knives for $2.00
did you go to THE DI after you visited THE BYU?
actually, nie nie, i have a d.i. about 3 miles away from my house here in sacto. i did go when i was in provo, but was totally disappointed by both price and selection. the other day i purchased a full set (of 10 ea. utensil!) of fiesta ware silverware (turquoise handles, very 1960s vintage) for $5, 3 skirts for the girls, 4 pairs of pants, a goofy giggles remote control, a pair of ecco shoes for jonnie in fab condition, 2 pairs of shoes for the girls, 3 spring dresses, and the list goes on. i even took a pic to document my loot. oh yeah, the total price tag was $29.00. i call an outing like that pure BLISS!
oh--i also want your haircut, nie nie. it's so cute in the pics with oliver. i think i'm going to print off a few of your pics and take them to my appt on the 17th. do you mind?
rachel.
they have a di in CA? i had no idea. actually i was being a brat and kind of making fun of carina because she called it "the" di. and my husband and i always say that to each other. for example:
"Hey honey do you want to go to THE byu? and after we could go to THE krispy kreme and get a donut"
I am a stinker.
I really need to get into the second-hand shopping business. I enjoy looking on e-bay, but that is the extent of that. Take some pics of your goods...I'd love to see your fiesta ware--love it, and ecco shoes...in good condition? Thats so dang awesome!
Good luck with the haircut! Send a picture of that when you get it done! I hate getting my haircut, I always cry after I get it done.
(Until I asked my husband to do it, now I can really tell him what I want!)
I've only been inside a DI once. But you've convinced me to make it a priorty stop next time we're in the area. I miss the days of thrift shopping unencumbered by kids.
Oh but Stephanie, that's why I say it. It sounds so funny. I hear an old woman's voice inside my head (Norma's great aunt?) whenever "The" is added in front of a proper noun where it is not needed. Is there anything more amusing than hearing it for real? I submit that there is NOT!
R-
There are no DI's in Palo Alto, but I did live across the street from Goodwill. BEST STORE EVER!!! This is a very wealthy area and so lots of really good stuff gets pitched (not like some DI"s that I have seen in Utah where nothing goes until it has been used by you, your sister, your cousing and the neighbor..) We used to walk across the street when Lu was little. She called it the "hold the baby" store, because I let her choose one baby to play with while we were there!! We often see things like Antropologe, Polo, Jack and Jane, etc. Great kids clothes. The best part is that the only other people that tend to shop there are the Latina's. They are a totally different body shape then me and want different clothes for their kids so it is a wide open field!!
My best purchases this month: Joan and David Suede boots, Enzo Mary Jane Pumps, PBK mirror. :-)
Carina--my dad is kind of obsessive about finding knives at the thrift store. He always finds me Wustoff knives. He has DRAWERS full of knives. Any time we go home he trys to pawn off some knives on us. It's cute.
You Utah folks should check out the thrift store in Heber. It is only on Wednedsay and Saturday am, but it is great (this one is known as the Stuffed Up Animal store)There is no Goodwill/DI in Park City. All the stuff left at the hotels and donations from all the folks there goes into barrels that get taken to the Heber store. It is run by the local Catholic church. We get all kinds of stuff there.....
Hi Nie Nie.....I think that is great that your husband cuts your hair. My friend out here goes to a barber b/c the hairdressers never do it right. Her's is short like yours...funny....
I love the silverware at the top of Leah's outfit picture.
I also love the vintage fisher-price house that I got at "THE DI" for 3 dollars!
bek--you hit it right on the head with the "let me beat this item into the ground and then use it as a diaper wipe before i donate it to d.i." mentality that seems to prevail in "the UT." except for the 100% cashmere salmon-colored J.Crew for kids cabled sweater I found for $4 for my niece Gwen. Too beautiful to resist. Someone must have donated it on accident!
Bek,
I'd love to know where that goodwill is so we can check it out. If I'm less than an hour away from such deals, I've got to be there!
Rachel,
we rushed in and out of DI on saturday- sorry there ws no time to call you! I only had time for the baby area- got a couple blue dresses for Em to grow into ($1 each) and a doll (.50). I was surprised how much it looked like a regular store inside. I felt like I was in Ross. And the prices were even lower than I expected. But the brands... I felt like maybe the crowds had fished out all the great finds already.
yeah...it's definitely hit or miss, but more often than not lately, i've been hitting the jackpot.
Hey Bek,
nevermind about needing the info on the store :)
Post a Comment