There is big sky here. Full of possibility. I used to miss Utah's mountains. When we first moved to Davis, I was missing Utah, and family, and familiarity, and mountains. One downer of a night, Jon invited me on a date/walk. He had the "perfect" plan. We walked onto UCDavis campus from our one-bedroom bungalow on First Street and headed towards the Law School. I was a bit skeptical about the plan, wondering when it was going to turn into anything anticipation-worthy. And then he did it: he went to the basement of the Law School Bldg, purchased an "It's It" (graham cracker/ice-cream sandwich dipped in chocolate----native specialty of California) in the humming, refrigerating vending machine and walked me back outside. He called me up this tiny little dimple in the grass===made for mere landscape architectural interest, gave me a bite of the "It's It," a hug, and said, "Here we are on Davis' highest mountain." I haven't forgotten this little moment. I don't think I will.
Back to mountains and sky and today. I was driving back from the Oakland Temple (thanks Chantel, Cheryl, and Christine for the experience), and as I passed over the flooded rice fields of the Yolo Causeway, I was amazed at the blue, cloud-filled sky--so breathtaking, so monumental--and realized [once again] that I love big sky. I think back to Jon's literal making a "mountain out of a mole-hill" for me back on the law school lawn, and I realize how a sense of physical place and belonging is so important to me. But the strange thing is that my loyalties have totally shifted. Sky signals my home now more than mountains, and I love it--the possibilities of big sky are endless. I don't mean to overly-romanticize it, but all I can think of is a line from Room With a View (complete with Mr. Emerson's British accent, of course): "Yours is glorious countryside, Honeychurch" and I now believe that my place is the most glorious countryside--physical and spiritual--and that is the happiest place to be.
****************
This has nothing to do with sky or mountains, but everything to do with Jon and cheese. (Two words which are synonymous--as any jon-lover will know). Tonite we decided to go for a treat. But we've frequented Rick's Dessert Diner (where we take every single out-of-towner to be stunned by 15" high cakes and sinful Chocolate O.D.) too many times, and I didn't want ice cream, and there weren't any bakeries open at 7:30 on a Saturday night. Until I thought of Whole Foods. YUM. So we went to Whole Foods with sleeper-clad girls and perused the "baked good" section to our hearts' content. I settled on two cookies: peanut butter chocolate and mint chocolate chip. Jon opted for Chocolate Lava and then headed for the cheese aisle. He selected three: "laguiole grand aubrac jeune montagne," "sheep ossau iraty," and "chaumes." And this is the part I love: After he had gobbled the entirety of all three cheese "samples," he asked me if I had an extra notebook laying (lying? Dang, I'm an English teacher and I don't even know....the youth of today!) around. I didn't know what for and kind of ignored him because I was engrossed in "product development" and catching up on blogs....and then I saw it: a little wax paper bakery wrapper (from one of the cookies?) with the stickers pulled off from the cheeses, and Jon's little scrawly writing on each individual label:
*Laguiole grand.....: "Very good. Almondy texture/soft texture, too. A little bit of strong taste (butt) that turns out very mild.
*Sheep....: "So good. Mild with a kick. Has almondy, yet soft texture. Excellent."
*Chaumes....:"Cross between havarti and muenster. Very mild. good--not exotic."
This discovery was one of those moments when I realized how much I love my husband--his silly cheese "log" and all. And I love the "almondy texture" assessment, almost as much as I love big sky. Maybe more.
1.07.2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
21 comments:
After women's conference this year, I went out with a few friends to Bambara in SLC. There, we ordered the cheese sampler plate and ate some of the most divine, exotic, strangest, and disgusting cheeses I've ever had. So fun. I'm with Jon on the cheese sampling. I only wish I'd taken notes.
there's always next time, carina!
and i forgot to mention in my post, that i was also very happy because he had cleaned the house while i was at the temple, and there were even fresh flowers on the table. and when i thanked him profusely, she told me that leah said, "dad, we need to get mom flowers" while they were at trader joe's this morning. i've trained this little 3 year old well...
Love this post. I'm glad for the reminder that one can love a new context. Not that we are planning a move, but sometimes I get the wonders about what sorts of changes are ahead for us. I guess it's not so hard to imagine though; North Carolina was my no-place-like-home for years, but now I'm definitely a Utahn.
The cheese story is good. I can relate--apparently, cheese is to Jon what olives and olive oil are to my Rob.
I'll take a cheese course for dessert any day.....
This is a sweet story...
rachel,
about my friend reachel (I think it is her great-great grandmothers name) i dont think she has another website, but you could check out this site, she designed it.
http://www.wesjohnsonphoto.com/welcome.html
did you look at her resume & portfolio on her site? oh anyway, if you are serious i can give you more info.
yesterday i was visiting whole foods myself to pick up baby formula. i had a list of like 4 things to buy and i spent 100 bucks. how does that happen? whole foods is my favorite spot on the planet! who needs mountains when we have WHOLE FOODS!
it still kills me (anytime i come out of DENIAL) that my home isn't your home anymore. but the possibilities of big sky sound near unto the "enthusiasm of spring" of long ago. i'm glad you're in a place that makes you happy!
re: whole foods. we went for 2 treats and came out $66 in the (w)hole. it's just so luscious i can't stand it!
can i have reachel's contact info?
I LOVE Whole Foods! It's one of the best things about California, in my not-so-humble opinion. It's truly amazing how much money one can spend there, but, oh, the joy!
What an amusing insight into the character of Jon! I love it. Thanks for driving on Saturday. I had a great time with you girls.
That's the cutest story about Jon. I think I remember him being a cheese lover. My John has become a conisseur (sp?) of cheese lately too, since his last business trip to France.
I remember having those same thoughts when moving to CA, from UT as well. It took me a very long time to realize that I loved living on the west coast, and away from mountains. I love and miss it even more now that I'm away. I still don't love IL yet, but I'm finding reasons to with each passing season.
rachel, you can contact reachel at
reachelbagley@gmail.com...:) good luck!!
I love Whole Foods, but I can't live with out my Trader Joe's (which is the Walmart version of Whole Foods--similar stuff, lower prices). If you want something organic, vegan or have a child that is allregic to milk--it is the store for you!!!
t.j.'s is my fave---what are your regular picks there? lately, my most divine treat is the white stilton with dried apricots. YUM! if you haven't tried, do so SOON. (i'm not a huge cheese connoseiur, but that stuff--don't get me started, don't even get me started!) also, their fresh naan is divine. i made an indian feast for christmas eve and we had that naan. so yummy. granny smith apple rings, cilantro jalapeno hummus, and the spinach salad with dried blueberries and cranberries, mushrooms, toasted almonds,and white balsamic vinaigrette. so heavently!
ladies, ladies, LADIES...trader joes is famous for thier ginger snaps....oh-da-lolly those are delish. I am not kidding you when i say i can eat a WHOLE contanier!!!
Ginger Snaps, truffles, chocolatey cat cookies and potato medley. The list goes on with TJs. Too bad there won't be one here for a while. I guess I'll keep making the 15 mile trek to Sac Town.
Hey have you ever been to Andronico's? So good. I would venture to say better than Whole Foods.
Oh, thank you for knowing about Its-Its. No one understands me when I speak of them. sigh.
Also at TJs you have to get the CocoJoes--oreos without any lard. Oh yes, I have been known to drive 6 hours to Phoenix to go to both the Whole Foods and the Tjs and the Ikea...
I've wondered about how a TJ's would do in Provo, even if it could survive without the wine sales. I love Trader Joe's so. I like to stock up when I drive by one, which isn't often and hasn't been lately.
Rachel, I like what you have to say about what home means - big sky or mountains, whatever the case may be. When I first moved here I was awed and intimidated by the mountains. Now they are home to me (I wrote a bit about this on one of my very first blog posts).
Trader Joe's is our place!
we get everything there except meat (grocery chain sales) and bulk foods (Winco!).
Recently I was eating nothing but their cranberry scones for days...
I totally know (and love) It's It's.
Jen--there will never be a Trader Joe's in Utah. I asked the corporate office about it. Apparently, they are huge competition for Albertsons, which is based in Utah (or something like that). It didn't make TONS of sense to me because both of the Trader Joe's in our town are across the street from Albertsons...but if you look on the list of stores, they are all over the west, EXCEPT Utah. :-)
I will just stock up my car next time I am out.
I love the Eggplant Parm, Gnocchi, eggless egg salad, all cheese, Ready Curry, Hazelnut and Almond flour and the sesame cashews, pepper cashews and chili lime cashews (hey, I like cashews). I buy all my nuts there. I also love that Coconut Milk there is only 99 cents.
I also get fresh flowers there. Orchids for 8$$..uh, yeah!!!
Rachel,
Nex time you come to PA, let me know and I can go to lunch with you and your sis. I need to get to know her better.......
I am supposed to be in her ward, but have kept going to my old ward because I can't bear the thought of making new friends.........this might help. She did invite me to their donught fry!! I wanted to go, but I had Lisa V. Clark coming into town to paint a mural in my son's room. If I had know that they all knew each other......
Post a Comment