Today is ice cream day at Leah's preschool. They're learning about children from other lands, and today they get to make ice cream by rolling cream and sugar around in coffee cans. (I'm not sure what country this represents? Is ice cream indigenous to somewhere?) For the normal parent and normal child, that would be a very fun activity. Those creative cooking projects were going to be my forte' as a mom. I always looked forward to rolling out sugar cookies with my kids, teaching them how to make teddy bear bread like my mom taught me, and Jon and I even joked that our child would be a talking cheese encyclopedia--first word, "gruyere", etc... Well, unlucky for us, our darling curly girly has severe allergies to wheat, dairy, nuts, and eggs, and all incarnations of said foods. Which means just about everything. So when I arrived at preschool this morn and realized I had forgotten to bring her Raspberry Gelato Classico (thanks, Costco!) or her Strawberry Soy Dream, I was momentarily crestfallen. But then I realized that I could just head over to the neighborhood Bel Aire and get her something tasty and cold to recompense.
After the whole get-the-sorbet-and-go-back-to-preschool-and-endure-the-separation-anxiety-once-more ordeal (did i overuse the hyphen, or what?), I was driving home and just got a little melancholy. What would it be like to have a kid who could eat a PB&J? (Or my personal fave, PB&Honey...) How would it be to go to a restaurant and order a kid's meal, or a birthday party and not have to bring special rice krispie treats? Or not cry in the frozen foods aisle at Trader Joe's when I read the ingredients of their Chicken Taquitos for the gazillionth time and realize they have changed recipes and now make Leah's one-and-only yummiest food with wheat starch? Or not have to bring brown rice bread to church every Sunday so your little girl can actually take the sacrament? Or take your toddler to the hospital after an anaphylactic reaction to spelt noodles? The list could go on forever, and I don't intend to wallow in this post. But somehow getting the sad things out on paper--ha!--computer is therapeutic to me "at this juncture."
What are the happy things?
Leah has Barbies who have allergies. (There is nothing more adorable than hearing her explain to that Barbie's friends that she can't have certain foods because they make her tummy sick. But maybe she'll outgrow them someday!
And I think her new Cabbage Patch, Claudia Fernanda, has allergies too.
I've invented a few tasty recipes for soy butter chocolate chip cookies, pumpkin cookies, and berry muffins---sans wheat, dairy, nuts, and eggs! (They are actually muy delicioso!)
In-n-Out Burger has an extremely limited menu, and therefore doesn't fry anything breaded in the oil with their french fries, so Leah gets to eat them! And she can down two meat patties (sans fillers) in about 20 seconds flat. (Even Esther eats two patties!) [One HUGE reason we can't move out of this state!]
She is aware that foods have the potential to be dangerous to her--much better than when she was younger and automatically put everything in her mouth. When she went trick-or-treating, she asked every single person, "Is this allergies?" She got a lot of blank stares, but after I explained, most people took huge pity on her and gave her two or more of the non-allergy selection (nerds, skittles, starburst, smarties, dum dums---gotta love those companies!)
Anyway, I'm feeling better now, and it's almost time to go pick that cutie up from preschool! I bet her Haagen Daz peach sorbet beat the socks off of the other kids' ice cream!
1.12.2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I'm so sorry for you and Leah! I can't give Adam (or me) a PB&J or PB&honey- how funny, I used to eat those as a kid too- because we both get amazing canker sores from nuts. It does seem like it would be so much easier sometimes, and mine is only that one thing. You both seem to handle it so well though, kudos to you. Are here's hoping she does outgrow it....
I think it's adorable that Leah has become so accustomed to it, that it's just a part of who she is. Not that it makes it any fun, I'm sure. I can't even imagine having to be that cautious about food with your kids. I have it soooo easy I realize.
There is a kid in Everetts preschool that has allergies to pretty much everything too. I went to help out with their Christmas (oh, I mean "Winter", excuse me!) party, and all the kids were eating cookies and he was eating fruit snacks. It was kind of endearing for me to watch him, because it reminded me of Leah.
How is Esther? Does she have allergies to anything?
i don't know how you do it. i think managing to get ANYTHING on the table is hard sometimes, let alone the restrictions. i'm so impressed with your inventions and do you share recipes?
maybe you should start some sort of company that caters to non- allergy treats? i am grateful for the food co-op, trader joe's and whole foods. they give so many MORE options. and i am glad that you make an effort to still let leah do all of the normal kid stuff(just modified) instead of keeping her in a bubble. she'll really appreciate you someday when she realizes that you figured out how to have sugar cookies for her at henner's valentine's party. frosted rice bread anyone?
Oh I know how Leah feels. I don't have food allergies, but I have total animal allergies. I nearly died when we went to see the Lipizaner Stallions in Austria (closed building, horses...bad.)
The good thing is that some of the sensitivity has passed (I can be in the same room as a cat or dog these days.) I just remember that feeling that everyone else could hug a kitten and I couldn't. I'd have to ask if there were any pets before I could sleep over. It's just the way it was. I still can't sleep with down pillows or comforters.
The good news is I found someone with the same allergies. So we live animal-free and love it :) (of course the genetic component for kids doesn't look good, oh well.)
You are such a good mom to make her feel included through all your heroic efforts. She'll love you extra-tons.
thanks for the condolences, really. normally i don't let it get to me, but every once-in-a-blue moon i just get ticked. and then i vent (ala yesterday) and then it's o.k.
now i've got to run and make some alternative rice krispie treats to take to a birthday party--yum!
Yeah, I too was practically in tears when I read this one. I admire your talent and your attitude, Rachel. Leah is such an awesome little kid. In fact, your whole darn family is awesome. You have had more of an impact on my life than you know.
Post a Comment