*Tonite we gathered our sleeper-clad girls to take in the stroller to deliver homemade fudge, cookies, and Christmas cards to our neighbors; if you haven't noticed, I adore our neighbors. But that's beside the point. Anyway, as Jon opened the door to leave, he gasped and stammered some exclamation. I ran from where I was signing the last of the cards to see our favorite babysitters--Heidi and Stephanie--gathering around the door----and then streams and streams and streams of people (I mean 40+ and there were even more that I couldn't see wrapping around the front of the garage...) congregating around them. The only other people I recognized were Lisa and Todd, the girls' parents. After singing two carols to us, they handed Esther and Leah two little dolls, and gave us a gift, too! The rest of the carolers were extended family members of our friends; they carol together every year. I was SO HAPPY that we were on their short list of carolees. Just last night as I was falling asleep (it took me 7.9 minutes instead of the usual 27 seconds to zonk into slumberland), one of my "topics" of thought was that I wanted carolers this year, but I knew we wouldn't get any...I told this to Lisa tonight and she said, "be careful what you wish for..." Anyway, it was so cute and happy and festive. I was so energized as all of these strangers piled into the 12 vehicles lining Tufts Street. That's the Christmas spirit!
*Also last night in my 7.9 minute pre-sleep revery, I had a "clever" thought: is there a domain or whatever you call it that is .mom? Obviously there's .com, .org, .net, .biz, .usa, dot every other country in the world, but is there a .mom? and if there isn't, how can i establish it and do something cool with it? and i was getting all excited about it, and then i thought, "is this the stupidest thought in the planet? one of those half-dazed and confused moments that seem brilliant to me now, but will be the laughing-stock of my morning routine?" and when i woke up this morning, I actually remembered this thought and I couldn't decide. what do you think?
*leah exhibited heroic effort and concern this afternoon. our friends cheryl, jaden, and beckam came to visit us (thanks so much, cheryl! it was so great to be with you today!) and as they were leaving, Jaden bounced a ball into the sidewalk and he ran behind their parked car to get it. at that same moment, cheryl turned the car on to warm it up....just the sound of the car starting inspired utter panic in little leah's voice: "cheryl, wait, wait...don't go! jaden's behind the car! Don't hit Jaden." She literally screamed this in the most genuinely worried voice I've ever heard her muster. I ran over to Leah, Cheryl to Jaden, and Leah was visibly shaken (and still shaking). After we said goodbye, I mulled it over with Leah: "I was like [can you believe she says 'like'? oh my...], 'Cheryl, Cheryl, don't go! Jaden's behind the car!' Mom, I didn't want him to get crashed because then he'd have to go and live in Jesus' place and I couldn't play with him." My little girl knows so little of life, but somehow understands so much.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Definitely check out .mom. Sounds cool.
I love carolers, except when they keep singing and you don't exactly know what to do or how to stand or where to look.
Being carolled to has got to be one of the great things in this world. I remember the Robisons used to carol to us sometimes.
When Tyler and I were engaged, it was a time of great strife with my mom (long story). One night, the week before Christmas, I had just gotten off the phone after a major blowout with my mom when the doorbell rang. I opened the door to see my FHE group (this was in Provo) standing there. They started singing, I burst out in tears and slammed the door. I haven't been too in to caroling since then. Maybe having a group of 40 extended family members would change my mind.....:)
Your neighborhood sounds perfect. How awesome that you had carolers. I wouldn't hold it to anyone in my area to go caroling, being that it is about 13 degrees right now...bbrrrr.
That is the coolest story about Leah. Smart girl!
kristi--that is the best caroling story ever! when i started reading your comment, i thought you were going to say, "and then i opened the door and there were some carolers and i felt this sense of peace and love from my mom and i knew everything would be all right." i love the real ending so much more!
chi--this is a conversation that has to be held at the borg reunion but remember to ask me about .mom and i will have a lot to say!
lou
righteous lindy,
you have made me very curious indeed.
Post a Comment