So I have some kind of funny/kind of pathetic stories to tell here...
The other day I was remembering some of the more notable moments of my adult life, when I stumbled upon some pretty crazy incidents in my memory rolodex, which have a common thread. That thread is Poison Control, and the victim is me.
1. Jon and I were enjoying a fun Saturday morning on 315 First Street in Davis. I was making oatmeal ginger pancakes; Jon was doing dishes. The recipe called for powdered ginger; I pulled two unlabeled spice jars out of the cupboard. They both looked yellowy/beigey, so I decided to do a sniffing test. Unfortunately, I sampled the ground mustard powder first. As I inhaled a HUGE sniff, Jon accidentally bumped me, and knocked the spice jar right up to my nose. The jostling of his bump, combined with my ultra-huge inhale, created an almost-fatal combination. "I'm dying! I'm dying!" I yelled. Jon, as I remember, was laughing. I was crying. Hot, spicy mustard was penetrating my brain. My head and nose were on fire. I was having an out-of-body experience. Worse, my anxiety kicked in: "am I going to die? Jon, quick, call poison control. I don't know what to do, this is killing me," etc....etc....etc....So after a 5 minute phone call to Poison Control, and a simplified description of the incident--"my wife accidentally snorted hot mustard powder...," I was assured that I would indeed survive and that all I needed to do was stand in the shower, head tilted back, nose in the path of the water for 15 mins. I came out a deflated prune, but at least I was still alive.
2. A few weeks later, I was working on a stained glass project and I happened to notice the bottle of the soldering flux. It said something to the effect of: "Do not injest. Will cause immediate and sudden death." (Okay, maybe it wasn't THAT forceful, but almost.) "Hmmmm....," thought I, "why would anyone ever want to injest that stuff?" Unfortunately, I couldn't find my trusty little flux paintbrush. So, I smartly used the eraser tip of a pencil. No biggie. All was well until two weeks later when I picked up said pencil and inserted eraser tip into mouth. (This is where I still fail to understand the irony: I NEVER PUT PENCIL ERASERS IN MY MOUTH! The whole thought of the rubbery texture mixed with the rusty metal totally grosses me out.) But, I happened to put this eraser in my mouth....and I noticed an odd taste. And then I remembered the DEATH clause on the flux. I started to panic. I think I might have even started to cry!?! (This was pre-Paxil, thank you very much.) And then I turned to the one person who could help me, "Jon, will you please call poison control?" This time my prescription was a few big glasses of water. That easy. And I thought I was dying!
3. This next story takes place at least a year and a half post flux incident. I was at home, putting the final touches on a delightful, yet time consuming dinner...(California Pizza Kitchen's BBQ Chicken Chop Salad, complete with homemade ranch, and corn tortilla strips.) I had spent at least 2 hours on this dinner and was really excited to taste the so-called fruits of my labors. Instead of frying the corn tortillas, I got a really good and health-conscious idea to broil them in the oven. That was a good idea until I totally forgot about them until the smoke was streaming out of my oven. I opened the oven door and flames--huge ones--dashed out at me. Instead of completely panicking, I grabbed the fire extinguisher that my dear dad once doorbell ditched on our apartment door (with some Twizzlers) to "extinguish the flames" of an argument we had gotten into. I heroically pulled the pin, and sprayed----RIGHT INTO MY FACE! I screamed, turned the stupid thing around, and put out the rest of the fire, spraying my dinner masterpiece at the same time. This time, it was just me and baby Leah at home. She was 18 months old and quite frightened to see me covered--and I mean TOTALLY COVERED (eyelashes, lids, lips, hair, nostrils), EVERYTHING-- in a film of white powder. I was quite frightened that I had just inhaled toxic materials and even started thinking about my possible demise. I took a deep breath, called poison control myself, and got my 3rd (and hopefully last) report written up. I showered for another 15 minutes (I'm beginning to think this is a common poison control answer), while my dear friend Natalie watched frightened Leah (yes, Natalie came over at a moment's notice). I dumped the CPK salad, hit the Taco Bell drive through, and still made it on time to my British Lit class at Sac State.
And you always thought Poison Control was for toddlers who busted into the cleaning supplies.
11.02.2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
rachel, this is the BEST blog ever. Each of these incidents is so vivid--what a fabulous trio of bedtime stories before i hit the hay! I am loving the bit about "my wife just snorted hot mustard powder" and hating the moment when you realized you were biting on the toxic eraser. I would have panicked (and probably cried too) too! I've never called poison control but then I've never been the victim which is the perfect word for all of these stupid yet hilarious predicaments. Just so you know i hate typing in these swishy little denelian (sp) bogus "word verifications"!
While reading about the fire extinguisher I started laughing so loud I snorted.
Those are great stories. Thanks for making me laugh this morning.
hilarious stories! reminds me of the time post 9/11 and right in the middle of the anthrax scare, when i opened an envelope and WHITE POWDER puffed out! i totally freaked out, convinced myself that i had been poisoned with antrax, then called 911. the fire engine/police came and did an investigation. turns out that when amounts of paper are coalated powder can accumulate on the sheets. who knew? for the next 6 months i opened ALL my mail outside, but was proud that i restrained myself from wearing gloves and a gas mask while doing so!
(sing to the end of the ABC's tune)
now i know i'm ocd! next time won't you medicate me!
Good thing I'm not holding a spice jar, or I'd be whuffling up a bunch of frangrant nasties now too as I laugh my face off.
Thanks for letting me chortle at your expense. Love your post, Rachel.
xo,
Geo
oh my gosh rachel....I'm dying laughing!!! i remember you telling me about the mustard incident the first night we came to your house. it was hilarious then, and still is (thanks for reminding me!). The toxic eraser is great too...i hadn't heard that one....but I can totally picture it...that is sooo you! ha ha ha! And the extinguisher one is funny too. At the time I think I was more freaked out that your fabulous dinner had been ruined. thanks for the laugh! :)
i'm glad my poison control experiences have amounted to some good---i'm sure there will be a fourth episode in the not-too-distant future....Hi, Geo!
What about the one with Leah and the carpet cleaner?
I had no idea that you had so much experience with Poison Control. Maybe next time I'll just call you!
OK- so now we're all curious. Do tell about the carpet cleaner incident.
so i had this bottle of bright red nail polish....and i had left it out for a few-too-many days. jon is a clutter hater and so after putting up with this out-of-place nail polish for too long, he tossed it over to the stairs in our condo so that he or i could take it upstairs, theoretically soon, but most-likely later. anyway, he must have been really bugged because the bottle of polish hit the wall and broke---over three brand new dresses for the girls and on to our carpet.
so he dutifully got out the carpet cleaner to try and salvage it, and then left the cleaner out on the stairs (now he's the clutter perpetrator). leah came by and decided to squirt the carpet cleaner into her mouth....and thus begins the carpet cleaner call.
incidentally, this was all on a sunday that we purposely skipped stake conference because we were driving to palo alto and somehow couldn't fit church into our schedule. by the time we dealt with the polish, the carpet, and leah, we could have been to stake conference and back. so that goes to show....
these moments are hilarious and i'm sorry to say that i have laughed and laughed over other anxiety-induced moments too--the flesh-eating bacteria and jon's deportment to mexico are among my favorites. sorry chi to be so delighted by your anguish.
sorry, jon, I was the one who cut MYSELF on glass at barge music in brooklyn...and i thought i might get aids...
YOU were in the bathroom at grand central station for an hour(?) and i thought you must have gotten flesh eating bacteria and were possibly already a pile of jelly...i was waiting for you in the huge famous room, and almost going to alert a policeman. but then you came back and it turned out that you had to walk for a mile to get to a restroom because the one close-by was closed.
the deportation incident had me stumped for a minute. but then i realized that it was when you went for a job interview in orem one month after we were married and you found the ad in the newspaper. you didn't know the company or the job title. you just knew that they wanted you to meet them at 8 pm on state street in orem. you were gone over two hours and i was in the fetal position, writhing on the floor at my parents' house. now we can laugh about it because we know it was a multi-level marketing job and the "interview" was just a meeting with a few dozen other suckers--and you only had to pay a couple hundred dollars to start---and i think you even wore a suit and tie. that's pretty darn sad!
and now we know more about my anxiety issues and life is so much better because of it!
Post a Comment