I have a proposition; and I'm not sure if I'm going to do it or not, but I should. Last night as I ate my last of several mini candy bars (Take 6, Smore, Twix, Dots), I realized that the gluttony was too much. But, I was staring down a huge bowl of non-claimed trick-or-treat candy. A few minutes later, there was a knock at the door and Jon answered it. Several older-than-ought-to-be trickers came to our door and grabbed the rest of the treats. And there were quite a bit. Jon came back to where I was nursing Estie and showed me the remains of the day--a few Smartie rolls and some Starburst. I blamed Jon for being a candy pansy; he told me one of them had been drinking, and I excused him of his non-confrontational maneuvers. I was still a little peeved that my chocolate stash was down to two (hiding underneath the Smarties).
This morning I woke up and remembered a crazy time back in college when I did not eat sweets from Thanksgiving 'til Christmas day; my sister-in-law Anna was my impetus....this was an ongoing tradition for her. I was hardcore. Even breath mints counted. (Altoids? I'm not sure....but I don't think they SHOULD count.) Jam? Maybe. But I was hardcore and stuck to my guns for the duration of those long 4+ weeks. And I survived!
SO back to this morning.....I realized (in a moment of strength) that I could try a Halloween to Thanksgiving TREAT OFF. That motivation lasted for a few hours, until I got home from being Leah's preschool helper and ate the two remaining chocolates. I got to thinking, after they were down the hatchet, that I SHOULD do this challenge. So I think I'm going to. This time, I might allow myself two free passes for events that are already on the books---Susannah and Nathan's donut party, and a baby shower I'm throwing for a girl in my new ward. But that's IT! Does anyone want to join me? You can have two free passes, too.
11.01.2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
18 comments:
What about book group at my house with Pumpkin Whoopie Pies?
Free passes NEVER work for me. I am an all or nothing kind of gal.
It's a treat a day (minute, hour, second etc.) or NOTHING AT ALL.
How is that for hard core???
P.S. Good luck. Sincerely.
Oh man!! There is no way I could do that. Hey, but I did just hear of a cool way to curb your sweet tooth (supposedly it works!)...just swish your mouth with a solution of water and baking soda (1 cup: 1 tsp.)...spit it out and your sweet craving is gone.
I tried it once when my craving wasn't very severe, and it worked. I decided not to try it the next day when my craving *was* severe because I *really* wanted to eat that Twix bar that was staring at me in Everetts candy bag. How pathetic of me!
i'm reading this after having "just tasted" 4 different desserts at enrichment, then topping it all off with some halloween candy. so, I'm totally IN! but, i might have to call you daily when i'm jonesing for some chocolate.
so, does jam count or not? are you feeling up for moab??
I had to give up sugar while pregnant from Halloween until Christmas. It was really hard. Free passes don't work for me either. It's all or nothing. I can do fine until that one taste...and then I am sooo off the wagon.
I actually did pretty well yesterday. I decided to be a candy snob and it worked! Now, if someone had offered me some Milka, I would have fallen and fast.
Good luck!
i don't think jam counts, lindy. i'll only oust it if i suddenly realize i'm having jam every day....but the occasional tidbit of jam is not going to ruin this for me. now if we were talking nutella, i'd have to put the ix-nay on.
and i ran for more than one mile two gym sessions in a row without stopping. i'm on my way to a 10K...and we'll see about a half marathon!
natalie--thanks for the tip of sweet tooth curbation. i'll need it tomorrow.
and whoopie pies might call for 2 and a half freebies? or maybe i'll just have to be extra diehard.
oh, a tip: i brushed my teeth at 8 p.m. with leah tonite instead of the usual 11 p.m. after two pre-midnite snacks.
I actually brush my teeth with water and baking soda -it's all rave reviews from me!
leah--i distinctly remember you calling me about caramel corn. should you or shouldn't you eat it. i don't remember what you did, but 5 days is noble. i'm only on day 1 or 2, depending on how you look at it. for some reason i'm really strong right now. like not even tempted. go figure. i've wrestled with sugar addiction all of my life and now it's easy? i guess i'll have to wait until this week is over to really weigh in on it. (no pun intended.)
and by the way, this is not about weight loss for me. it's much more about self control.
rache, i don't think i could do it. What happened last time with the 4+ weeks? Is it like fasting where you want to eat any and everything? I think I would be like leah drooling at marshmallows. For me, i would end up worse off, but that's not to say that you can't or shouldn't do it. i will support you either way but i really want you to come to our donut party!
I broke the no-sweets fast on mom's famous and fabulous yule log on Christmas Day. It was delicious, but definitely not as satisfying as the anticipation. I was kind of sad as I ate it, because I knew it was all downhill from there. And it was. But this time I'm hoping that I'll be able to break away with more of a moderation principle. I think I just need to purge and prove to myself that i really CAN do it.
Rachel---
Good luck!! That sounds really great, but I don't know if I'm disciplined enough to swear off ice cream for that long!! I shouldn't even buy it, because if it's not in the fridge, I wouldn't eat it nearly as much. BUT, it's my _favorite_ thing.
Hats off to you!
My husband says when he eats spinach it curbs his sugar cravings. Of course, he IS a non-addict. (I am one, though I'm currently on the wagon.)
i think i'll make a hearty spinach salad to go with my split pea soup tonite...yum! and then i'll feel SO satiated. thanks for the tip!
Ok, so I am going to try again to post a comment. I've joined the wagon and swore off sweets until Thanksgiving or longer if I can make it. I also added Diet Pepsi to my list. We will see how that goes. I will give up my free passes and I can't eat just one. Hopefully, we will all feel better for the holidays.
Well, I didn't mean to be anoynmous, so I'll try this again.
Yea--I've got it. I signed up as a blogger, but can't seem to get it to work this way.
Post a Comment