10.04.2005

Turning a Leaf

I'm re-turning over a leaf. It's not a new leaf. It's an old one that has been turned and over-turned far too many times to count. It's the "exercise-more-frequently-and-eat-right-more-frequently" leaf that I've had a continual battle with. In my recent quest for clarity, here are a few truths I've come up with:

1. Exercise is the hardest addiction to acquire. Once I'm in exercise synch, it's truly necessary for my well-being. Once I'm out of the habit, it's the hardest thing for me to go back to. Why? I think there are a lot of reasons: "I won't be able to run even one mile...I used to be able to do three or more without stopping....," "I don't have any cute exercise clothes....," "I'm so exhausted. Having two kids has taken everything out of me....," "I'm totally too busy....," "A gym membership is too expensive...," blah, blah, blah. I've been going to the gym for almost 3 years now--with the exception of illness, vacation, and post-partum recovery, I've gone about 3 days a week. Now I'm finding that I aim for 3 days, and I end up going 2. That's a problem. I'm not making progress. So the first of my new goals was realized this morning: in addition to my MWF workout plan, I woke up and went at 6:30 today (and I plan on going on Thursday, too.) I feel great. I'm exhausted now, but what the heck--I'll adjust! I think I'm coming back to addict status.

2. Even pudgy people are happy. Take Ina Garten for instance. She is adorably pudgy--and seems very happy. She has fabulous dinner parties. She has a house in the Hamptons. She has her own t.v. show. She has a perpetual special occasion justifying her use of heavy cream, twice as much butter as necessary, loads of sugar, and all other most beautiful and fattening trappings. I'm generally pretty happy, too, but not satisfied with the status quo. Either way, it's good that I've learned that you don't have to be thin to be happy.

3. BUT: Thinnies have more fun. I should actually say that In-Shapies have more fun, because I don't really care about being skinny. As Dr. Katz of Comedy Central fame would say, "I've got a sister.....she's big boned..." It's been my lot since June 28, 1976. The big-boned sister. That's O.K. So I've given up skinny. But, when I'm "in shape"--when jiggling is at a minimum--shopping, looking in the mirror, dressing up, dressing down, getting down, getting busy (read into that whatever you want)----it's all more fun.

4. Healthy foods really are the most delicious. (With a few small exceptions: the dessert genre--see below) Today I checked out my neighborhood fruit/vegetable stand for the first time. It's called Farmer's Wife, and while it's no Pedricks, I was delighted by my take homes: a $3 flat of "blemished" heirloom tomatoes in the most terrific rainbow of colors, 2 baskets of strawberries, 6 kiwis, a honeydew, carrots, celery, green onions, purple onions, yellow onions, and a red pepper. YUM! I came right home and started researching what I can do with these multitudinous heirlooms in the next 12 hours before they become juice. So I just removed a pan full of roasted heirlooms from my oven. I think I'll combine them with whole wheat pasta and fresh basil and parm for a delicioso dinner. I also made a quick batch of hummus in my attempts to get Leah eating a more healthy variety of foods. Last night we had Tuscan White Bean Soup, Salad, Organic White Cheddar and Garlic bread from TJ's, and soft and chewy ginger snaps. Usually, the simpler the better! Healthy, healthy, healthy...yummy, yummy, yummy.

5. Desserts in moderation are fabulous. If there was a DA (Desserts Anonymous), I'd be the charter member and poster child. There are few things more satisfying than a delectable baked good--or 5. I could easily go without ice cream for the rest of my life, but baked goods? No WAY! I've tried cold turkey. Can't do it. So moderation has to be the key. How am I doing? Well, let's just say that I've only had one gingersnap today. I'm going to go with it.

8 comments:

Carina said...

Oh I know how you feel. Before Will I was religious about going to the gym. Since he was born and I had to return to work full time, it's just been one excuse after another. We did buy a treadmill which has seen some use. I do like yoga in the mornings, but I just do not have it in me to wake up at 6:30am.
I love fruits and veggies. Will and I are united on this front as my husband might be the pickiest eater on earth, including having issues with most veggies. Now that it's two against one, I might have more success in cooking the way I really want instead of meat and potatoes type meals. Once it's three against one, Joe will have lost the war. Oh please oh please don't let me have a picky eater next...

Let's do form D.A. Ice Cream, baked goods, the new French Bakery, heavy whipping cream, Swiss chocolates, cookies of all types; I'm afraid I'm a lost case. My one claim is that it's always about quality. The bad side is that quality is often readily available.

Lindy Johnson said...

hey chi, i'm totally with you on the D.A. too! I don't even want to go into how many desserts I've had over the weekend. My madre (who is at 60 still a size 8) can eat 2 bites of any fabulous dessert and be done. But, not me! Sometimes, I seriously think I need to join overeaters anonymous! I have a question about the gym--I've joined 24 hour fitness and I go sporadically, but I want to take bubby to the daycare. How old was Estie before you started taking her to gym daycare? Is it cruel and unusual punishment to drop my baby there for 45 minutes or so?

Rachel said...

First off, Jon---you did yoga? how did you know what moves to do? that is the most hilarious and awesome thing i've heard all day (it's only 8:39 a.m.).

Quality IS readily available, especially if you know how and like cooking. My newest thing is making a batch of something and giving away at least half and freezing a fourth and then keeping a fourth out. The only problem with this method is that I figured out that I like frozen baked goods (with about a three minute thaw time)better than just plain old room temp. So I'm hopeless. I tried another attempt when I was a WW (yes, weight watchers) attendee==only eat desserts that you can buy in a single serving. this meant that once or twice a week we'd walk to safeway for a donut or go to the bakery and each pick out a treat. That was O.K., but still too hard. I don't know what to do.

Lindy, I would whole-heartedly recommend taking bubby-lush (isn't that a cute nickname?) to the gym daycare. you are a fabulous mom for doing so....he'll get some great socialization, learn some independence, and more than that, you'll be able to feel you can freely do at least ONE THING independently every day. I started taking esther to our gym in davis the day before she turned 3 months. and it was muy fabuloso (can you tell i've been hearing DORA the EXPLORER in the background?) that was actually the easiest time to take her....now at 10 months, she's had screaming fits and they often have to come and get me after 20 minutes. BUt I haven't given up. The gym ladies actually let her scream for 40 minutes once until she fell asleep. With Leah, that would have bugged me, but I was so glad that they toughed it out and let me get in a full workout. Last time I went, she only cried for a few minutes. So I recommend taking him soon so he can get used to it before the stranger danger phase sets in (I didn't take Esther for 2 months because I hadn't found a gym here....that got her out of the swing of things.)

Anyone got a great dessert recipe to share?

Lindy Johnson said...

chi,
thanks for the go ahead! I think I'll take bubbylush (we've been calling him bubbyfresh for a longtime, but i like bubbylush, too. so many cute nicknames!) to the gym manana. also, i was thinking of favorite desserts and you know what came to mind? the recipe for "trailer treat"! keith TOTALLY loves that stuff. definitely a quality dessert, wouldn't you agree? but, i will email you my blueberry crumb cake recipe which is literally famous now in boston because i made it for every ward event/baby shower/brunch/pot luck i went to!

Rachel said...

trailer treat. now that's what i call QUALITY! here's the recipe:

oh my gosh! the recipe is MISSING from my recipe binder....hmmm...there is a saving grace, however. "golden graham s'mores" recipe is on every box of golden grahams that i've purchased--and even the generic golden grahams have it too. i bet the recipe's online as well. i'll do some sleuthing. but in the meantime, here's another "quality" treat akin to "t.t."

Homemade Oreos

1 box choc cake mix
1 cube butter, melted
2 eggs
mix. drop in small spoonfuls onto cookie sheet. bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes. cool. double-decker them with frosting in the middle.

frosting:
1 TBS-2TBS butter
1 tsp vanilla (or almond or mint extract)
powdered sugar (1-2 cups?)
milk (a few TBS?)

eat up....esp. delish when served slighted thawed from freezer :)


i haven't made these or t.t. for over a year. i think they're coming due....

Rachel said...

oh yeah...send the blueberry crumb cake recipe. and i think all of this dessert obsession just proves my need for Desertaholics Anonymous...

Becca said...

I know this leaf all too well, sign me up for D.A. too! I'm also looking forward to the recipes.
And speaking of leafs, guess what? The other day Soren brought me a dead leaf epistle (completely unprompted, I don't think he had any idea of my past letters) with the message: I love you. How cute is that?
I love the image of Jon doing yoga! I am getting a card to use the USU gym and am wishing for a mini-tramp to put in the loft. This would serve several purposes--exercise without leaving the house when desperate and a place for the little ones to serve time in the winter (I'm imagining this almost like time-out when I sense a growing need for rowdiness).

Rachel said...

becca--

i was walking with leah yesterday and we were picking up all of the beautiful leaves. for leah, this meant "every single one." i was thinking of you and the dead leaf epistles the whole way. in fact, i was hoping to surprise you with one, but soren beat me to it. mine was going to say the same thing. :)