10.05.2005

SMACK DOWN

So I had my first meeting with Emily, my new personal trainer; let's just say that I've got a lot of work to do. She did a fitness assessment, and while I did fine on that, I got really scared when she pulled out the measuring tape. Although I have a tendency to over-share, I'll spare myself the humiliation and you the details; suffice it to say, my upper thigh is now only 2 inches smaller than my waist when I got married a mere 7 years back. And when I uttered this shocking truth to Miss Emily, she started nervously laughing. I asked her, "What's so funny?"

She answered: "You know how people laugh when they're in a really awkward situation?"

My assurance: "Do you feel awkward right now? I don't." And I really didn't.

The body fat test she did was insane. I almost fainted at my percentage until she told me that even her score was dramatically higher than true on this particular scale/machine. I'm truly amazed that the 25-30 lbs. I've gained have wreaked this much havoc on my body. Then again, that's about the size of Leah, a three and a half year old. I'm now imagining strapping Leah onto my body and somehow absorbing her into me--I don't want another 28.5!

I then confessed my love affair with the baked good. And she told me to go off for 2 weeks to get the sugar and cravings out of my system. I told her that I'd try really hard not to eat baked goods/sweets for two weeks. I asked if jam was o.k. "I wouldn't if I were you. But after two weeks, you can start adding sugars back in, like rice and Ezekiel Sprouted Bread and some of the other non-refined carbs." That's when I said, "Rice is a sweet? You know, I'm just not an extremist. I've tried to do things this way before and I've always failed. I'll try on the baked good front [maybe after David's wedding reception? The excuses are already creeping in.], but I can't add another insane diet to the food allergy situation."

So then I got the fitness test and my "prescription" for cardio is 4-6 times per week for 30 minutes. Sounds doable, but challenging. I better go sleepies so I can wake up to my 6:25 alarm call. Argh. Moral: Maybe thinnies don't have more fun.

7 comments:

Lindy Johnson said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lindy Johnson said...

umm, i had the EXACT same experience when i had my fitness evaluation when i joined my gym 3 months ago. it was soo depressing that i thought it was funny and came home and told EVERYONE my body fat percentage. Of course, this was 6 weeks after giving birth--never a good time to have your body fat measured, but still, according to the charts i was clinically obese! i'm feeling good right now, though, because i just got home from a 30 minute run! also, my trainer said that losing weight is 80% about what you eat and only 20% about exercise, so i don't worry TOO much about exercise. I will never give up sweets--i can't even do it for 24 hours, so 2 weeks seems like a lifetime! good luck, chica!

Rachel said...

yeah--today i went and canned salsa and tomatoes with dear phoebe and the madness and insanity of the project (can i just say that i'm totally wiped out right now? TOTALLY...) left me vulnerable to sweets. on my way out, i grabbed a few of her delicious assortment of halloween treats and said i was going to bring the whoppers home to jonnie. well, they almost made it to truxel road, but not quite.

i think the biggest thing with my exercise epiphany is that i need to be more intense in my workout. it's easy for me to get lulled into a work out, but not a WORK OUT. so now i'm trying to keep my heart rate between 145-165 for 30 minutes. it's definitely going to work, but it's a higher intensity than i've been doing in the past. either way, 4 days at the gym this week so far. we'll see if i can add another....

thanks for the moral support. and you're far from clinically obese, my dear lindy lou!

Rachel said...

way to go on the 30 minute run! ah yeah!

Carina said...

I had a trainer once upon a time. He made me work so hard! It was great. And then I got knocked up.

C. Jane Kendrick said...

My Dear Rachel,
This sentance is the best I've ever read in blogdom:
"I then confessed my love affair with the baked good."
Thanks for the laugh outloud.
And best of luck on your road to a healthier you. (I got that last part off of a t.v. commercial).

Rachel said...

thanks for the encouragement. i'm trying to exercise like mad...and it's been working. as far as the no sweets, i haven't had rice, but the "baked good" is a whole nother issue.