10.27.2005

reunion

*****Math 112 taught by Bob Speiser my freshman year at BYU was one of my best classes. I can honestly say that I can't "do" any calculus now--though I still remember that the slope of something is its rate of change (right?), and I can take a simple derivative; I also have math anxiety dreams where I'm staring at equations and nothing makes sense and the clock is ticking; and, I don't plan on actively refreshing my skills until Leah starts her math glory days. BUT, I do remember the kindness and genuine concern of Dr. Speiser. He taught real math concepts--not just numbers and formulas that I had grown accustomed to from high school math. He also taught that there are multiple ways to approach mathematics--and got me thinking ABOUT math and its applications in my life. He also taught us about being.

It was a total joy to reunite with Bob last night at Thai Basil in Sacramento. Eroo and I picked him up at the Vagabond Inn in Old Town and met Jon and the girls at the restaurant. The last time I saw Bob was in our wedding line, almost 7 years ago. Since then, he's been through a miraculous open heart surgery, more students than I'll possibly ever know as a teacher, and numerous Zen retreats in the mountains of Northern California. (I'm sure there have been many other monumental occasions in that time, but this is all we had time for in our short visit.) But, after such a long hiatus, he still cares about me as a person, about Emily, and about the paths that our lives are taking. He commented about my relationship with Jon and how we seem so happy together--how I seem so happy as a mother--how the things I perceive about myself as weaknesses are quite possibly strengths. Talk about affirmations! Speiser is one of the most warm and affirming people I have ever known. I left the evening quite exhausted, but totally invigorated. Bob's presence is both overwhelmingly peaceful and overwhelmingly energizing....it's a strange dichotomy, but it's the truth.

After we were home, I told Jon what Bob had said that had made me so happy (Jon had left the restaurant early because Leah and Esther were too much to be reckoned with) and I resolved (I think Jon did too?!?) to be more like him--open with our spirits, ready and willing to bless others with our peace.

2 comments:

Carina said...

I love the Speisers! I grew up just one street over from them. Their chow-chows are beautiful. My dad told me that Bob had had open heart surgery; it's nice to know he's doing better.

Salt of the earth, they.

C. Jane Kendrick said...

Loved this post!
I love to be around people that make me want to be better. I also find in my life that these people typically are open -open to ideas, change and adventure.
I am with Jon -it is definitely all about relationships.