8.22.2005

Sometimes the view is better if others are looking in

Leah, Esther, and I just said goodbye to Joe, John, Jacob, and Billy. We were their last stop on a whirlwind Cali roadtrip. It was really fun to be with Joe--this is only the second time I've seen him post-mish--and Jon's first.

Susannah and Nathan were here, too, with chittlins until yesterday afternoon. Before Joe got here, we went to the Yolo County Fair to try and go to the Demolition Derby. (How WT can we get? Read on.) After much unsuccess with tix, etc, we succombed to pony rides, cotton candy, and shaved ice. Walking next to Leah on her pony was magical. She was so happy and exclaimed, "my pony has four legs!" when she first got on and looked down. After her ride was over, she kept saying, "I want to go ride MY pony!" She was thrilled. Jon watched on, a very proud father, and Estie giggled everytime Leah went around and passed by her. Magical.

So back to the purpose/title of this blog. What I mean is that I was just kind of down this weekend (we had three heinous run-ins in a row with anti-family-men who claim church callings, jobs, "sisterly love for wives" as their excuse to not hang out with their families; Jon had done a few minor things to annoy me; our kids haven't been sleeping well....) and I was beginning to think that OUR little family was in peril. (I'm quite dramatic when it comes to family/marital relationships.) But then we had a magical night last night with joe and co. We went downtown Sacramento to show off our environs, the capitol building, etc, and when Leah announced that she had to pee, Jon ran her around to every building in a 6 block radius to see if the doors were open so she could use the toilet (after trying to coax her into using a nearby bush without success). They were on a mission, and when Leah emerged triumphantly from the Wells Fargo highrise, gleefully screaming, "THE DOORS WERE OPEN AND I WENT PEE!", I was thrilled that I am me and that jon is my husband, and Leah my girl.

And then when Leah came out from her bedroom the THIRD time after Jon had already read her 17(?) stories, and instead of getting ticked we put on "Hey Ya" and had a dance party in front of Joe and his friends, I was even happier. She shook her little booty and Esther was awake and laughing melodically, and the boyz were laughing at the whole scene--and quite possibly thinking, "i want my future family to be like this"--I was glad that this is my family, past, present, and future. Sometimes it takes other people enjoying my family to make me realize how fun we really are--and how little everything else really is. I love us.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

The tea party was so fabulous. That was one of the happiest things i've observed in a long time! xo

Susannah said...

Rache,

LOVED your epiphany! It was hilarious to check for an update and there it was--awesome. Tonight while feeding Beatrix (I think that's it!!!) I played Tetris (awkwardly but it worked) and went nuts--I was like Henry not blinking....We love being with you guys too--wish we were closer.

Sus

Elizabeth said...

Rachel---

I'm so glad someone else is very dramatic with the family relationships (particularly marital for me). Everything can be fine, and we have one disagreement (that is probably one of the stupidest things we've ever argued about and/or discussed), and I'm freaked out and doubting, etc. etc. etc. Later, I have to just kind of mentally shake my head and think, "Wake up, wacko! What was your problem? Why was that such a big deal?" EXCEPT for occasionally when I really felt warranted for what I was arguing for. :) In any case, I always blow it out of proportion, instead of realizing that disagreeing is a part of being married---and, actually, in its own right, probably a good thing about being married. (What if it were always the same and you never voiced your own thoughts/feelings/concerns?) I think we just freak out because it's actually what we hold closest and it feels quite uncomfortable to feel unsettled with those you love most.