So, this summer's been a bit of a bust. Let's just cut the crap and get it out there: Jon has joined the ranks of the unemployed. I've had my share of bawl-a-thons, but in the end realize that there are better things in store for us. What? We're not sure, yet. But, we are sure that we are loved, taken care of, and we'll survive.
So, in the midst of all this, Jon has lost 8 pounds. WHAT THE? He's a skeletor to begin with, but the stress hasn't helped matters in that department. Me, on the other hand.....hmmm.....let's just say I don't own a scale for a reason. I'm chubbier than I've ever been in my whole life, with the exception of being 9 months pregnant. 7 months? Let's not go there. That's not good news, friends, but things will change. A time and a season for everything.
Anyway, I've been attempting to eat better during this crisis. No baked goods. This is certainly not a foolproof plan, as evidenced by what I'm going to share with you. I felt a hankering for brownies the other day. I don't even love brownies, but I love my mint brownies, ala becca claire. But I didn't have mint, and I didn't really feel like mint anyway.
So I baked the base brownie, then added a chocolate cream cheese frosting. A to-die-for combo. Esther had one bite, and then kept saying, "Please, can I have some more creamy delightful?" I loved the name and had to adopt it. I think Creamy Delightful is so darn delightful.
Here's the recipe.
CREAMY DELIGHTFUL
Brownies:
2 c. sugar
1 c. butter
4 eggs
2.5 c. flour
4-1 oz unsweetened choc squares---melted
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
2 tsp vanilla
Mix ingredients together (Do the whole wet and dry thing if you believe in that. I don't.) Bake at 350 for an undisclosed amnt of time. I usually do it for about 25-30 mins. But then again, the recipe says 300 for 20 mins. But that's just way too gooey. ***THIS TIME 27 mins was perfecto!
Creamy Delightful Frosting
1 8 oz block cream cheese
1 c. semi sweet chocolate chips, melted
a few cups of powdered sugar (sorry, i never measure)
a bit of vanilla (1-2 tsp?)
some skim milk or other liquid of the milky variety...enough to moisten.
whip the heck out of it, and spread on cooled brownies.
And I have a perfect picture of skeletor Jon eating creamy delightful, wearing a shirt with a short bus on it that says, "i believe in you" which i do. I know he'll find gainful employment soon . . . and perhaps it will mean I can return to my motherland. But my camera will not upload said picture right now. Go figure. Hopefully later.
8.13.2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Ugh. Rachel - I'm sorry about the unemployment. We've been there before and it stinks. The stress for the whole family is big, but I think the men really feel it intensely. I know Alan did, and it sounds like Jon is the same. Hang in there and thanks for the fun recipe. Sounds lovely!
I'm so sorry! I had no idea!
Yes, I hope this is a chance for you guys to either come home (heehee) or get an even better position.
oh, so sorry to hear that! take care you guys!
Mmmm..sounds heavenly (the brownies) not the other crap that life gives us but I know you will survive. What is it with men and losing weight? That is a completely flawed design plan, we should have the revved up metabolism because we give birth. You look amazing I think. I hope your search for new adventure in the job world go well, it all works out somehow. My kids really want to see pictures of "Kip" hiking!
you are so loved! i know you know that, but i just wanted to reiterate! you are in my prayers and my thoughts hourly!
Been thinking a lot about you since I read your last blog post...you are so inspiring. I am taking strength form your attitude. YOu and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. Maybe Jon could get a job in Ogden. It is actually a really good job market here. Go figure. I would love to live near you.
Oh, Rachel, I'm so sorry! You know we've been there, and my John lost weight too. But he will gain it back again (and a job)...I promise!! Hang in there. btw...will you PLEASE email me your phone number! I've been wanting to call you for the longest time, but can't find it! Love you!
Post a Comment