We went to get an ultrasound last Monday (I'll skip the terrible story of the Dr. who "shushed" me and refused to check for a heartbeat. Don't even want to waste my time. Moral: new Dr. for me.)
The baby was moving, the heart was beating, and I couldn't believe how surreal it is each time. This is my 3rd "first peek" at new life growing in me, and it always catches me off guard with its wonderfulness. I keep thinking it will be old hat and that it's no big deal. But then I saw this baby's little hand reaching behind its head (already chillin') and little legs kicking around----all I could do was giggle, really! Until the u/s tech told me she didn't want me to laugh---or even breathe for that matter---because she couldn't see when I did.
Upshot? The u/s showed the baby to be 12.5 wks old. 1.5 weeks less than I thought. A bit of a bummer, but they have been off on my other babies, too, so I'm going to hold on to a shred of hope that I'm really 15 wks now instead of 13.5. And I know 10 days doesn't seem like a big deal, but to a pregnant woman who feels semi-miserable and low-grade grumpiness for 9 straight months, 10 days is a freakin' eternity!
So now I'm just biding my time and realizing that I should probably adopt some self-discipline when it comes to cravings. So far, whenever I feel an intense urge for something, i.e. tempura vegetables or powdered sugar donut holes (!?!), I give in because I feel like it's not only my perogative, but my duty. So tonite as I was picking up a prescription at the ghetto Walgreens, I remembered my craving for Twizzler's Pull and Peel. I used to eat this stuff constantly my freshman year in college with my chicas. We thought that since there wasn't any fat, that it didn't matter how much you ate. Good thing that's about all I ate. Cuz I would've exploded otherwise. Anyhow, I gave into the single size serving of Cherry P. and P. and realized for the millionth time (haven't had it since I overdosed in college) that I must've been on something in college to think that stuff was worthy of my eating. Can I say plastic? Or rubber? It made my mouth numb after the first string. But I still ate it because my body said to. Cut to my horrid daymare of gaining 70 lbs during this pregnancy. No giving in tomorrow. Maybe.
8.13.2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Yeah Rachel!! I'm totally with you on the ultrasound feelings!! It's miraculous. congrats!
It IS a freakin eternity. I'm a complete proponent of eating whatever your body tells you to eat while pregnant. That is how I ate brussels sprouts lightly sauteed in lemon and butter for three months straight. I couldn't get enough of those dark, leafy greens. Yum.
I can't recommend midwives highly enough. The difference in deliveries was night and day.
So glad you got to see baby!
Eat whatEVER you want! You deserve it. And tempura veggies still constitutes as veggies...so YAY!
The girls are so pretty!
Yeah! Sorry about the extra 10 days. I just found out I'm due with my second in April. And that most drs. calculate from the first day of your last cycle, so your pregnancy actually starts 10-14 days before you get pregnant. It's so weird! So it's it's 40 weeks from date of last period or 38 weeks from date of ovulation. Give or take. I get the candy cravings, too.
chi, congrats on the ultrasounds and decisions to get a new doctor.
i'm glad you don't leave in a small town in virginia where EVERYDAY is like a FREAKIN ETERNITY.
Post a Comment