7.24.2007

Just Thought I'd Say HI

I've been feeling quite barfy lately (especially at 12:21 am this morning when I awoke to the heeby jeeby queazies . . . luckily my trusty orange bowl was at my bedside.) I'm currently burning a few holes in my mouth sucking on Sour Patch Fruits---not the kids, the little fruit-shaped ones. I've been craving them for a few weeks now, but never bothered to do anything about it. I mean, a craving for watermelon or a turkey sandwich, or pickles seems worth a trip to the store. But an outing to get SOUR PATCH FRUIT SALAD? I mean, where do you even find that? Or justify the gas to go get it!?~

So yesterday I had a fabulous outing with my sister Susannah and my mom, who had dutifully flown from SLC on a moment's notice to help me out while Jon was off galavanting with 2 of his BFFs on the Cali coast. Anyway, we went out to lunch at a superb new Sacto hot-spot and then decided to go to the chi-chi (shi-shi?) shopping center adjacent to the restaurante. I enjoyed the over-stuffed easy chairs in Talbots whilst me madre enjoyed trying on cute clothes for mission #2 to GHANA. I fessed up about my craving for Sour Patch Fruit Salad to Sus, who replied that she had never even seen that, and good luck finding it anywhere, and couldn't I just settle for Sour Patch KIDS? My reply, "absolutely not."

Cut to 15 mins later. I decided to head into David Berkeley---a very exclusive deli/gourmet food store/patisserie---which I had only heard tale of (and tasted sandwich of) but never gone in before. I don't get to this side of town too often, so I thought I should take the op to case the joint. When what to my wandering eyes did appear, but:

SOUR PATCH FRUIT SALAD!!!!

Friends, the Gods of Maternal Cravings were with me. There were exactly 7 canisters of bulk candy in the entire store, and one of them belonged to said desire. I immediately asked the counter lady for help and explained how grateful I was to David Berkeley for supplying my most desired/weird food fantasy. I always feel like I must explain everything to everyone, which I realize is a handicap---people really don't care. I told her I was pregnant, blah, blah, blah, and then she looked at me and said, "YOU BETTER TELL YOUR DOCTOR THAT YOU'RE EATING SUGAR." I asked her if she was joking, assuming she absolutely was. She wasn't. I should've said, "you better tell your doctor that you're a smoker," (it was obvious) but instead told her that she should add some chocolate covered gummy bears to my order. HA.

And now I'm not sure if I'm feeling better or worse than when I started. I guess it doesn't matter. I'm performing some pretty serious business here. I think I've worked up the hunger for a turkey sandwich with extra pickles.

*****Addendum: I forgot that I hadn't mentioned how pregnant I am. Best guess is 12-13 wks. But I'm not sure because I wasn't paying attention. And I don't get to see a Dr. until August 2nd because of stupid insurance malfunctions . . . so I'm praying they're going to say, "Land's ALive! You're 22 weeks!" (Yeah right!) I'll keep you posted.


14 comments:

Bluebell said...

Glad you satisfied your craving...but you still haven't told us when that baby is due! (Unless it's something you don't want to post to the whole wide world...) Love ya!

Rachel said...

Bluebell,

See addendum. Sorry for leaving you in the dark. :)

Natalie said...

WHAT THE?? I've never heard of sour patch fruit salad. sorry, but that sounds disgusting. :) my mouth was salivating as I was reading about them though (not because they sound good, but because it sounds sour).

How funny, that lady telling you to tell your doctor....oh my!

great story!

shoeaddict said...

I laughed out loud at the response you "should have said".

Good luck!

shoeaddict said...

Come enter my contest!

Jordan said...

Hi-larious! Yeah, Rachel, didn't you know the serious side-effects of sugar-consumption while pregnant: giddy happiness and utter satisfaction being two of the more serious!

Can't wait to hear how far along you truly are!

Becca said...

never heard of sour patch fruit salad and i love this story. my favorite line: "you should tell your doctor you're a smoker". practically laughed out loud.

Likely said...

congrats! sorry I am so lame and not with it. I am glad you emailed me and told me the news.

Does the fruit salad have sour gummy watermelons in it? Those are my favorite sours. There are also some Lifesaver Gummy Berry Sours on the market. May want to give those a try if you haven't yet.

Loved the smoker line too. Cracking me up.

Ali said...

Wowowowowow Rachel! Congrats!!!

(I just found you and VIOLA! Great news from your neck o' the woods! Yay!)

Devon and Michelle said...

NO WAY!! Too good to be true!! What a hilarious story! I never craved sugar before my first pregnancy and now it is essential that I have a lot of sugar when prego!

QueenScarlett said...

Is this where Ruth's Chris is? I love that place. Their chocolate explosion dessert is ... need I say more? ;-)

Can't wait until we get to find out... if it's a M/F!

Hope you're surviving...and so glad you have help!

ps. I pass these manufactured model homes every week I take my girl to violin... I think of you each time.

Lindy Johnson said...

now, i've got a craving for sour patch fruit salad! so glad that you had fun with your cute mom and susannah. you totally deserved a weekend of pleasure! i'm praying that you are 22 weeks along!

shoeaddict said...

Come visit me and HELP!

Thanks

Elizabeth said...

Mmm...sour patch anything is heaven. You totally deserved them.

AND, I love the way you talk/write. You always make me laugh.