4.19.2007

Being the Baked Good Queen . . .

I discovered via my fabulous sister Susannah the best chocolate chip cookie recipe on the planet. Yep. Undeniably the best. I called her this afternoon in a pinch, when I couldn't find the trusty old Tanya's No Fail recipe (which now I think I just remembered I posted on my blog some time ago. I guess it's serendipity that I didn't remember, because now I've got a new fave.) This recipe comes from a Martha Stewart Comfort Foods cookbook. So I'm calling them Comfort Cookies, and they're making me feel the love right now.

Comfort Cookies via Sus via Martha
1 c butter
1.5 c brown sugar UPDATE: I am going to reduce brown sugar to 1 c. next time
.5 c granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg
2 c flour (+ 1/4 c extra made the perfect consistency. Not quite so greasy.)
.5 tsp soda
.5 tsp salt
12 oz chocolate chips (Please take this advice for the best cookies ever: I used a Ghirardelli block of chocolate purchased at Trader Joe's and cut it into big chunks. Can I just say divine?)

Cream butter, add sugars and cream more. Add vanilla, and egg till well mixed. Then add flour, soda, salt until almost well mixed. Add chocolate chunks and mix just until combined.

Bake at 375 for about 12 mins.

Eat at least 4 that first day because you'll never taste anything better.

Oh---and to make it even more sinful, sandwich two of these puppies together with some Dreyer's Slow Churned Peanut Butter Cup ice cream. (I didn't do it for us, but I brought these to Jon's cousin who just had a baby on Saturday. All new mothers deserve sinful divinity in the form of dessert.)

3 comments:

Carina said...

Interesting. I made a batch today of my fav recipe and it's only slightly different than this one. It's got one tsp of soda instead of half, and the sugars are 3/4c. each to equal two cups instead of more brown (still equaling two cups.) I find that if I do half butter, half margarine I get a chewier cookie, which I like.

And I agree, these are the perfect cookies.

Elizabeth said...

You make me laugh (they're making you feel the love right now). I've been thinking about the need for a baked good, even thinking I need to make cookies or brownies. So maybe I'll have to give this recipe a shot. Looks pretty delish.

bonny with a Y said...

I couldn't agree more - food is love.

And I so enjoy feeling the love.

There is nothing more tasty than fresh chocolate chip cookies - i will have to try these - and try a few more with some tasty ice cream.