3.11.2007

Food Rut Recovery

Hi! I just decided that I should post some of the menus I'm trying this week. I've recommitted myself to planning meals by the week with a 3-pronged intent: so I don't end up throwing away so much produce, and to reduce my grocery bill, and most-importantly to avoid the 5:00 pitfall of "Hell's Bells! What am I going to make for dinner??? Chipotle?"

Here are a few from the end of last week and this week:

DISCLAIMER: I rarely use recipes, so things are very inexact, including cooking times and temperatures. Follow at your own peril.

Roasted Vegetable Sandwiches with Focaccia (from Trader Joe's): potatoes, zucchini, red pepper, purple onion, and whole garlic cloves. Drizzle olive oil on cut and prepared vegetables. Add salt. Put in the oven for around 40 mins at 400 degrees. Serve on focaccia with balsamic vinegar and mozzarella cheese. DIVINE! (You can also use leftover roasted vegetables later on in the week for enchiladas, pizza, omelets, etc.)

Homemade Granola with Vanilla Yogurt: Used a hybrid of Ina Garten and my sister's recipe that I love. Included whole almonds, coconut, dried blueberries, cranberries, and tart cherries. In the past I've gone much earthier with flax seed, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, and cashews (in addition to all of the other goodies above). This week I decided to stir in some Cream Topped Vanilla Yogurt from Trader Joe's. Can I just say that any of the more commercial LITE, Fat-free brands don't compare to this? I am not a huge yogurt fan, but this stuff is amazing! And since I rarely eat it, I've decided that the whole milk option is much more satisfying. This was an amazing dinner! I had intended to do scrambled eggs with it, and possibly smoothies, but the granola was perfect on its own. And get this: LEAH LOVES IT! (I made her a nut-free version.) She's had granola at least 5 times since Friday nite! Our babysitter even said that she opted for "my oats" instead of a treat on Saturday mid-morning. Hallelujah! She's even eating a bowl right now. (If you want the recipe, let me know and I'll post it.)

Tortilla Soup: One quart chicken stock (or vegetable stock, if you're so inclined . . . ), 1 can tomatoes with green chilis, frozen corn, grilled chicken, cubed (or black beans if you're vegetarian), juice of a lime. Combine in pot. Top with crumbled tortilla chips, avocado slices, cheddar cheese, and a dollop of sour cream. YUM!

Flat Bread Pizza-type thing: This is a made up recipe. I bought flatbread (lavash) at TJ's and then added some amazing toppings: a sprinkle of olive oil, thawed frozen corn, cilantro leaves, chopped up red pepper, sliced almonds, grilled chicken, and a light sprinkle of Gouda cheese. And don't forget a bit of black pepper. Bake at about 375 for 10 (?) minutes, or till cheese starts to caramelize and get a bit crispy. Hello, divine!

Homemade Refried Beans: 1 lb pinto beans, ~5 c. water, sprinkle of crushed red pepper, a few tsp salt (to taste . . . ), ~1 tsp olive oil for good measure, granulated garlic or crushed fresh garlic. Stick all ingredients in the crock pot (sometimes I wait to salt until the end). Cook for awhile. You might have to add some water here or there, or take some out at the end if it looks too soupy. Use an immersion blender to puree beans to your likening. (I like them to have a few chunks.) These are delish served in tortillas with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, and other standard burrito ingredients. They put store-bought refrieds to shame.

That's enough for now. I'm tired of typing. Hope you can put some of these recipes to use.

6 comments:

Carina said...

I love the idea of the roasted veggies sandwiches--I just wish I could convert the rest of the fam.

I'm with you on the whole milk yogurt. We don't have Trader Joe's (as you know) but we do have access to Brown Cow. The stuff is better for you and more filling than a generic 6 ounces of lite yoplait. YUM!

Anonymous said...

The menu sounds good.And easy.And kid friendly! I like it.

Lindy Johnson said...

yea for new recipes! the pizza sounds divine; i'm definitely trying that one soon! i'm glad you finally posted again (even though i haven't done so for months)!

Phoebe said...

The answer to bad yogurt is Tilamook!
Thanks for the bean recipe. I need to get brave enough to try it now. Do you soak the beans at all before the crockpot?

Elizabeth said...

Whole milk yogurt sounds SO good. Can I have the granola recipe? That sounds delish.

Carina said...

Chi--do you ever try to make your own yogurt?