1.24.2007

Soft and Chewy Gingersnaps

These are so dang good. Love them served with a citrus sorbet in the summer, or something more rich in the winter. Also good with half dipped in chocolate. I think I've only done that once. But it was yummy.

3/4 c butter
2 c. sugar
2 eggs
1/2 c molasses
4 c. flour
4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 Tbs powdered ginger
2 tsp cinnamon
granulated sugar to coat

Beat butter, sug, eggs and molasses well. Add dry ingredients. Refrigerate dough for 1/2 to 1 hour. Form into balls and roll into granulated sugar. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet for 8-11 minutes at 350. Cookies will be puffy when removed from oven, but will flatten as they cool. Tops will look cracked. Cool on rack.

4 comments:

m-l-e said...

these are my favorites.. have you ever tried them w/ lemon frosting? I keep intending to. Go chi go!

Rachel said...

Yum, roo. That sounds divine!

Natalie said...

Dang right, these are the best! I make them all the time, thanks to you Rachel.

I'm dying to try the brownies though...mmmmmm.

Likely said...

Oh Rachel, I love you for posting this recipe. In December we put together Christmas baskets for mutual night (I am in the YW Pres.) and all of the youth had to bring a baked good. They were to be delivered to widows, investigators and inactives in the ward.

After the baskets were brimming with holiday delectables, there were bags of treats to spare. I told them to go for it and take what they wanted. One girl took a bag of cookies, and put one into her mouth. she then said, "These aren't peanut butter!" She disappointedly threw away the bitten cookie and said, "who wants these?" I said, "well what kind are they?". she had no idea. I tried one and turns out they were the MOST DELICIOUS SOFT AND CHEWY GINGERSNAPS EVER! I ate the whole bag and stuffed the remaining 4 bags in my purse. Merry Christmas to me.

What a long comment. The point is I had no clue who made them because we had like 40 kids participating.

I am soooo making these, very soon.