11.08.2006

These beauties

are the reason my mom and I made 27 trips to Robert's Craft in an 84-hour period while I was in Utah. I'm just tickled to death with my new hobby. You feel like such an artist, and your results are near-immediate. (The best project for someone with adult ADD. Hence, my love for the new-found artform.) If you really want some more instructions, I'll give them to you. Afterall, I never intend for my blog Darlybird to merely be an advertisement for the business, Darlybird. In fact, I only named my blog Darlybird after I had initially given up on the Darlybird business idea. And then I said, "giving up is for losers. I'm going to do it." And I did. And this is all too much info. Sorry. Posted by Picasa

13 comments:

Likely said...

Hey Rachel - I found your blog!!! Okay, these tags are ADORABLE. Totally something I would spend 84 hours making. Where did you get all of your art work? and the Indian fine paper? Robert Craft? REALLY???? I wish that you and I lived closer and could have craft time together. I have ephemera and notions up the ying yang. . . . :) - Tiffany

Stephanie Aurora Clark Nielson said...

love those!

Lindy Johnson said...

chi, your collection has grown!
i'm totally making more this weekend!

Janelle said...

Hey, I'm diggin these vintage tags. One time I found the most fabulous vintage/victorian wrapping paper and paper dolls at a close out store near my home and I bought it all. 5 years later I'm bummed it is all used up. Despite having no Christmas colors or themes it made for THE BEST Christmas wrapping. Have you ever thought of selling gift wrapping sets? A lot of people get freaked out about how to make their gift look cool and crafty and you might just be the person to help them do it. Your tags + twine or ribbon + vintage paper = gift giving envy. Your clients may even prefer to pay you to wrap gifts from your site for them for an astronomical fee. (May not be worth your time) Sorry my post is so long. I do have a love for vintage prints.
-Phoebe's friend Janelle

Bek said...

I would love intructions...I think I can figure most of it out. My big question is where you got the vintage images?

It is a homemade christmas in our house this year. Someday, I will pay Darlybird to do all this for me!! But for now, I get to pay eight hundred and sixty four million dollars for a piece of poo house...... and it is a homemade christmas.........

You can e mail them via my blog or I will just check back for the directions......... :-)

Carina said...

tiffany, I can't believe I found you posting on Rachel's blog! I started reading your fav books and noticed Stargirl and thought, oh yeah a Tiffany I know used to really love Stargirl...and she's got a David and a MAX WAIT A MINUTE. The girls are doing really well and are growing so big and "mature." So sorry we didn't cross paths a couple months ago. We all miss you!

This world is just tiny, by the way.

Chi, LOVE the tags, yes please, directions. I'm determined to have a crafty Christmas. I'm going to make all sorts of fabulous things, I just know it.

Natalie said...

Those are really beautiful! You'll definately have to post instructions.

Likely said...

Carina Carina Carina! How do I love thee? Let me count the ways. Why didn't we get together when I was in Utah this summer? Remind me again why I am so lame. I actually think you were out of town because you weren't there on Sunday unless you were at home eating a pound of brie. Thanks for letting me borrow the pack and play. You are an angel. I am sure your house is adorable as always. You would love our place out here in Maryland. Not mid-century (a townhouse in fact) but you will love some of the things I've done with the place. I'll be posting before and afters on my blog soon. Take care!!! Congrats by the way on the baby. What is your calling now?

Tiffany

Becca said...

27 trips?? pourquoi?

Rachel said...

the 27 trips happens to be an ever-so-slight exaggeration. we went to one in slc that didn't have the paints my auntie leah had (the luminartes) and so we went to the provo one 2x for various supplies, the outlet in orem, and then called 3 other places in search of the handmade glittery/printed indian papers and the luminarte paints. we were devoted.

Rachel said...

janelle--great idea! i do think about the gift wrapping service, but i haven't thought about sets yet. that's a splendid idea. i'm probably a little late for this holiday, but i'll be on it, hopefully, for next.

Likely said...

Rachel - I am good friends with those indian fine papers you speak of. I bought a big pack of them at Robert's about two years ago and have used them so frequently that I am now wishing I bought them all out. Warning though: Those papers are not good for decoupage. They turn out really crappy.

I wonder if the ones that you bought were the same. I'll try to look closer at your tag pics. Mine were all kinds of funky designs in random color schemes (royal purple and chartruese (sp?), orange and creme, fuschia and turquoise with silver glitter flowers, random foamy lavender). I actually think I used a couple of them on the Likely tags!

Anyway, who ended up having them? An outlet? I am wondering if I can find that same kind of hodge podge pack online that I bought two years ago. What was the brand name?

Likely said...

Update: Looked at the tag pics again. they are the same papers, some the same designs, some different. I must have that brand name.