10.15.2006

My Man Is 30

Jonnie Won-tonnie is 30 bo-birty! And I love him because:

--He's going grey like me. But men with receding grey hair are sexy. Women with receding grey hair are not.

--He's super-duper motivated. When he decides he wants something, he works his booty off to get it. And I'm not talking material possessions; I mean publications, jobs, etc. And he doesn't let insecurities hinder him one bit! I mean, how is that humanly possible? Amazing.

--I used to think I was smarter than him, but I'm not. I just have a better memory and have a better guessing strategy at standardized tests. And who cares about that? I told this to him at his birthday fondue party last night as we all went around the circle and told him things we loved about him (a birthday tradition inspired by a certain Zach, which we love and have adopted. Jon was giddy after hearing all of the great things about him, and who wouldn't be? This morning, I decided that I needed a little extra lovin', so I asked him, "What would you have said to me if it was my birthday?" That's kind of a pathetic way to get reassurance, but it worked). I think he took the whole smart thing as a compliment. He was a wanderer when we got married (still is a bit of ramblin' boy) and had no clue what he wanted to do with his life. Now he knows exactly what he wants, and he's getting it. Better than I can say for myself. BRAVO!

--He's an amazing father. He loves his chicas and plays with them, jumps on the trampoline with them, takes them for walks, bathes them, does everything with them. He even took Leah climbing yesterday. They have plans to go to the jungle when she's 8. I'm sure it will happen.

--He is a great husband. He understands my needs and really supports me in what I need. I'm a pretty feisty cookie, so it's no easy feat. But he wins the Oscar for BEST SUPPORTING HUSBAND.

and that's not all.....but I don't want to make him too conceited---it would ruin his other fabulous quality, which happens to be humility. (Let's just say he worked at Burger Supreme when I met him -- and when he first asked me out on the night we met, he asked me if I'd pick him up since he didn't have a car . . . loved it even though I thought it was a bit kooky!)

7 comments:

Becca said...

i love jonnie too! happy birthday jon, wish we could have joined in the compliments and fondue!

moiety said...

@#$%&*!!! WHAT!!! We missed the anniversaire?! Fie on you, Jon, for getting older under our radar, and evading the intentions we'd have certainly made good on to wish you the best, had we remembered!

(how lame is that? and this isn't even Jon's thang, this blog . . . lame-OH).

HornInFBb said...

Happy birthday!
what a great tribute post. I had little comments and questions all along as I read, but that's more suited to talking than blogging.. oh well!

Carina said...

Congratulations! Jon is a winner, but doubly so since he won YOU.

BB said...

all of these things are true --- except all that smarter-than business (both darly and jon = brilliant)

Lindy Johnson said...

happy b-day jonnie, boy! chi, you are indeed a lucky gal to have snagged jon; and jon is a lucky boy to have snagged YOU!

Elizabeth said...

My man turned 30 this year, too. I like that you made a list of things you love about him (I gave Scott a 30 reasons why card for his birthday) that was kind of a similar idea. Happy Birthday, Jon!!