10.20.2006

Existential 4-year old

On the way home from the gym the other day, Leah was quiet for a few minutes in the back seat of the car. All of the sudden she said, "I think we are made of paper." PAUSE, Pause, pause: "and this is all a dream."

I remember having similar feelings when I was young----I was convinced that I was the only person really alive, and everyone else was just robots . . . convinced for only a few minutes, but effected nonetheless. This was when I was probably 10. Is not four a little young for this existential skepticism?

Either way, I thought it was freaking hilarious and called jon on my cell phone immediately.

*****Random annoyance: Every time I type an apostrophe, I get this weird "search" bar. Notice I used no apostrophes in this post. Why in the hail is this happening?

8 comments:

Carina said...

Deep thinker. Start her on Camus. I couldn't understand around her age why I couldn't walk on the ceilings--everything would have been more interesting that way.

You probably have spyware on your machine. If the search bar has a name brand on it, search the brand at an engine like yahoo or google to see if you can get instructions to remove it from your machine (if you don't feel comfortable poking around your internet/program files.)

HornInFBb said...

i have that search issue randomly too.. it's the mozilla browser, which I love, but sometimes it has that quirk.

I remember trying to convince my best friend I saw everything in diferent colors than everybody else.

Johanna Buchert Smith said...

I remember when I realised that I couldn't do EVERYTHING because not doing everything would be part of doing everything, you saavy?

(This is proof that even 4-y-olds should have P4C. If I knew how, I'd link that to Becca's post about it. I'm trying to get her to work on a book and tell we whose children will never have it in school, how to do it on our own.)

pps: I LOVE darlybird.com! You're doing a great job!

cchrissyy said...

I did that too. I'd often try to determine if everyone perceived colors differently.

bonny with a Y said...

it's never too young to be existential - and i remember that dream feeling as well - now i mostly get it when i'm exhausted.

bonny with a Y said...

and i must tell you my husband LOVES the "things you must do to make me happy" notepad. our relationship has gone to a whole new level.

well, not really a WHOLE new level, but it is pretty fun.

Natalie said...

Wow, interesting thoughts from a 4 year old. Everett once asked me who is controlling us (like we were all robots or something). Now that's weird.

Becca said...

I totally love this. Thanks for writing it down. E said something along the way to profound the other night and now I can't remember what it was. Should've posted....