7.24.2006

Embrace the Heat

At the beginning of this summer, I decided that I would change my attitude and in some yogic state/trance/Zen moment, this phrase came to me: "embrace the heat." And I imagined myself in the hottest place possible and made myself enjoy the sensation. Lungs full of hot air, heat-induced claustrophobia, perma-sweaty hairline and all. It was a test of will and mind-over-matter that I thought I might possibly win. And, I've been doing pretty well this summer---thanks to my new philosophy---until this week and last.

115 degrees, friends. And I don't live in Arizona. The $7k a/c unit that we were forced to purchase in a similar-yet-way-less-toxic heat wave one month after our move-in date last year, (depleted our kitchen fund in one day) is trying to keep up. But alas, it has gotten up to 88 degrees in my house with the a/c running full blast. Our energy bill last month was $214 for 1780 sq ft. And that was last month. I don't think I want to be around when Mr. S (husband-o-mine) opens July's bill.

Our funky/mod '63 house with its slightly-sloped roof, exposed beams, single-paned 20 foot windows (2 of them west-facing for optimal afternoon sun), lack of attic and insulation are all conspiring against me right now.

Embrace the heat is not comforting anymore.

What are you doing to escape/embrace the heat? The best thing I can think of is a Lemonator Slurpee in a camelback, but then I'd have to get into the 150 degree car and drive to ghetto Sev-Elev....and the camelback would doubtless make me have back sweat in this inferno. No extra layers allowed!

(It's only supposed to be 111 tomorrow. That's comforting.)

26 comments:

stina said...

Good call - I'm sick of complaining! I feel particularly lame about my complaining when I consider the lack of a/c for many people. Heck-I survived most of my childhood without a/c. Let's get some ideas people for the ideal icy treat for a hot day that does not necessitate a ride in the sauna. Ice cream is a favorite of mine, though not the healthiest for repeat indulgences...

Phoebe said...

We went to IKEA. It was cool.

Emmie said...

It's not quite as hot here in SoCal as it is in your neck o' the woods. Nevertheless, I'm quite crabby about this whole heat wave thing. Tomorrow I shall endeavor to embrace the heat whilst sipping lemonade and turning up the A/C.

Emmie said...

P.S. During a blistering summer on my mission, we'd soak our garments in ice water, put them on, and stand in front of the fan. I recommend it!

Rachel said...

emmie--your idea sounds fab. (the icy garment one.) on a hot day in davis w/o a/c in our clay-walled rental house, i stripped down to the birthday suit, got into the coldest shower possible, then sat in front of the fan, and when i dried in about 30 seconds from the heat, i got back in the shower and repeated procedure. i think the icewater thing sounds great.

Stephanie Aurora Clark Nielson said...

dear rachel,
i totally know how you feel. it was 118 here in az yesterday.

it sucks

Rachel said...

i'm so so so sorry, nie nie. what are you doing to cope?

Natalie said...

Wow! That's freakin' hot!!! It hasn't been bad here this summer. The humidity is quite uncomfortable, but not unbearable. Put your swimsuits on, and fill up your tub with cold water. Take little dips every now and then, and just stay in your suit all day. Blend up some icecubes with fruit and juice and keep in the fridge all day to drink. Hmmmm...other than that, I would just say go somewhere cool, like IKEA...that's a good idea.

Lindy Johnson said...

drive to provo in your car with the a/c blasting. come to my house, where it is a cool 72 inside. then, we'll all drive to provo towne center where it is nice and cool and let the kids play on the padded/fenced in play area while we sip icy cold cokes!!

QueenScarlett said...

I feel it... can you believe I'm looking forward to Saturday where according to weather folks they say we'll go from our 3-digit heat to mid-90s? I'm excited for mid-90s!

How have I escaped the heat? Hibernate in my home with a/c. I also feel your pain with PG&E... my last bill was 350.00 ish for a 2900 sqft. Granted we keep it on auto... once it hits 77/78 it starts... but that's because my husband is a natural ball of heat and he said I could have it run as often as I want carrying a baby. ;-)

Carina said...

My internal thermometer got screwed up when I was pregnant with number one son. Since that time, I actually LIKE the heat.

We've been going down to either our pool or the new wading pool at Veterans park. Even though our thermostat is set to 78, I got some fans from Target and put them in strategic rooms. That helps a great deal.

I paid extra on my last electric bill because I just know this month will be INSANE.

I make sure I've got lots of ice on hand for drinks or slushies and a powerful enough blender to make it happen.

Bluebell said...

Perhaps it will change, as it so often does, but I was ready to cry tears of joy when I saw on my weather page that it is supposed to be down to a high of 90 on Friday. We'll see.

I lock the whole family in the apartment with the AC on full blast. If we go anywhere at all, it is either swimming or air-conditioned. I took the kids to IKEA, too, Phoebe =) And when we get inside the house after making the trip from the car to the door, I usually strip off my clothes as fast as I can and jump into the icy cold shower. Sometimes I wear a wet bandana on my head or run my hair under the faucet. Anything to stay cool!

I had fun seeing you yesterday. I think I left my nursing pad there. Sorry. This is way too long. Love ya!

HornInFBb said...

I don't know how to embrace it, not at all. I hated heat before but my passion hit a new level this week.

Stephanie Aurora Clark Nielson said...

rachel,
i dont cope. i want to die.

This is me said...

I have a very fat 9-month old baby boy who has to sit in the triple-degree heat in his rear facing car seat. You know, so the air from the A/C just hits the back of the car seat and doesn't get to him at all. Everytime we get him out of the car, he is literally dripping sweat. So, whenever I feel like I can't take the heat, I think of my poor, fat, heat-stroked son. And then I just feel bad for the both of us.

Rachel said...

yikes. that sucks. i just looked at "the dozen" and he's a charmer. maybe you could buy one of those battery operated fans and suspend it from the roof of your car and that would circulate the air!?! :)

Becca said...

i would contract "le caffard" (is that how you spell it? from beau geste when people go insane from the heat in the desert). i don't do heat well at all and i've been uncomfy here with the low 100s. i do the cold showers and fan too, the ice water treatment sounds good too! i'm with lindy; drive to provo and then i'll come crash at her 72 house too!

Rachel said...

thanks for all the suggestions, friends. i've been doing a lot of staying inside.

and then when it was probably just 90 degrees at 8 pm, leah and i walked outside and watered shriveled plants and turned our hose nozel to the "mister" selection. and it was heavenly. tomorrow, mister all day long!

Julie said...

Hope you're surviving! Movies! Go to the movies where you'll forget the heat and worry they've transported you to the Arctic.

Bek said...

I am trying to figure that very same thing out....but I will tell you that made me feel a little better.

Walmart sells an ice shaver for about 20$$ It's like a snowcone machine for grown ups. No cleaning and it takes a few seconds to whip up a lemonade (or in my case...diet coke) slurpee..... It doesn't make it less hot, but it is a small diversion.....

We are in Utah in my moms UN AIRCONDITIONED house in the 105 weather. Good stuff.

La Yen said...

Dear Darlybird--after a long hiatus from reading blogs, I was so excited to see your website--where I filled my shopping cart, and then found out I could not order. I think that it is my payback for being in a 60 degre reainstorm in the Sierra Nevadas today, while the rest of the country steams. So you have your revenge, but I do not have my apron.

Rachel said...

Never fear, La Yen: Darlybird is officially launching on August 15th...so apron you will have as soon as you want it after that date! i'm glad you liked the website. it's been my work and my glory for quite some time now.

and your 60 degree rainstorm? where are you? i want to move there.

La Yen said...

Mammoth Lakes, CA, birdy, Mammoth Lakes.

Rachel said...

bring it on!

Gabrielle of Design Mom said...

Darlybird, I found and love your website and blogged about it. Then Ben Blair (my husband) linked to it and told me he knew Darlybird and I did too and I was so happy I knew you. I hope your business booms.

La Yen said...

Just ordered it. Instead of using bubble wrap for cushioning, you could use dollar bills. (If you want.)