A week and a half ago, my Jonnie got a new job. He told his firm two weeks ago Friday, and they didn't want to talk about it till Monday. On Monday at 3:30, he tracked down the partner he was supposed to chat with to see how long they wanted him to stay, etc. He called me a few minutes later to say that he was packing up his office and coming home from that firm for the last time as soon as his office was dismantled. Hmmmmm, I thought.....what can I have him do before he starts new firm next Monday?
RIP OUT SCUZZY BATHROOM #2, OF COURSE
and rip it out, he did. and now, it's well on it's way to being a muy fabuloso bathroom instead of scuzzy bathroom #2.
Let me tell you a bit about scuzzy bathroom #2:
1) It had carpet
2) No matter what you did, it had a slight scent of pee (prior owners included 4 of the male persuasion)
QUICK INTERRUPTION:
I will now explain to you why I don't blog as often as I used to:
Esther came into my "office" all wet a few seconds ago. Hmmm, I thought. This is fishy. I walked into the family room, and saw an overturned bowl with the remains of vanilla soy milk dumped out if it. Ah ha! You little stinker, you! And then I happened to glance at the floor and down the hall. Wet clumps of toilet paper. Uh oh! I could've sworn that I closed the bathroom door. Nope. Open. More wet clumps of toilet paper all over said floor. And then I peak into the toilet:
A green froggy bowl from Ikea, a stainless steel spoon from Crate and Barrel, and more clumps of t.p. I grabbed the little monsty and set her in her crib. Lucky thing, cause I found the rest of the brand new toilet paper roll, sopping wet in the middle of her little flower rug. And more clumps.
She's still in her crib. With just a diaper. And if things go as well as they did on this day, I'm going to be loving life in a few minutes. But I just can't get her and clean up the mess. I have strep throat (for the second time in 3 months) and I think that earns me a GET-OUT-OF-CLEANING-UP-ESTHER'S-HUGE-MESS pass, do not pass go, do not collect $200. Don't you? Thank goodness Jon got a new job and they're amenable to alternative work schedules. Guess who's on his happy way home right now? You guessed it. He'll have a nice clean-up surprise waiting for his arrival.
Back to number 3:
3) Beautiful faux marble countertop (gray and white) for the "I'm not rich, but I'm trying" effect.
4) A toxic shower made of laminated particle board--or something close to it--complete with orange mold that wouldn't go away, a broken glass door, and the most disgusting track (for the door).
I still think that a carpeted bathroom is about the dumbest thing on the planet.
So now, I'll tell you what we've/Jon [has] done:
--Tiled the shower with white honeycomb tile
--Tiled the floor with variagated seafoom-ish tile from Heath Ceramics (supposedly one of the best and most artistic tile companies in America--I heard it from a very in-the-know realtor)---I went to their factory in Sausalito and bought overstock for $5 sq ft instead of $27.
--Spent a load of moolah at Home Depot Expo on the prettiest, sleekest vanity and faucet and matching showerhead/handle for the shower.
--Bought a new toilet that supposedly can flush 30 golf balls at once. HALLELUJAH!
--Spent hours looking at our beautiful half-finished non-scuzzy bathroom. Even if we never finished it and made it functional, it's still better than when it was scuzzy bathroom #2.
I'll post pictures when we're done.
I better go check on the Monsty. I hear interesting noises from the bedroom.
6.15.2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
[Jon posting.] I love little clean-up surprises waiting for me when I get home.
Lucky...I want a new bathroom.
I often come home from work to scrub peanut butter and/or jam out of the carpet.
and the drapes, and get the DVDs out of the VCR--yeah, the VCR.
Tonight was try to clean J's crystal light (what?) that he gave to Guille out of the carpet. I think that was more jam on the sofa, I think....
chi: i'm very impressed by the work done in the bathroom so far! i have to agree that it was a little "i'm a 90 year-old who can't take care of my bathroom" esque. can't wait to see the new pics! and mr. bubby, my sweet little mr. bubby, is turning into a monsty, too!!! he is enthralled with throwing the t.p. into the toilet. what is there fascination?? i have a book that's called "your fussy (and fun-loving) one year old. the basic premise is that from 12 months-21 months your child will be exceedingly annoying to you.
Yay! Exciting! Can't wait to see it. So what's up with the job? Where's the new one? With a different firm?
p.s. strep throat 3x in 3 months? i'm totally buying you wellness formula and sending it to you for your birthday!! also, airborne is a great immunity booster and you can usually find it at rite aid or other drug stores!
chi, i love you so much!
Oh Rachel!! I'm totally pitying you right now. Strep throat, soggy t.p mess, spilled milk, more soggy t.p. mess. It's stressing me out just thinking about it!!
Although, I am excited to see pics of the new bathroom. I agree, carpet in bathrooms has got to be the worst idea ever.
Congrats on the job Jon! Tell us about it!
Post a Comment