5.06.2006

Rice Pudding: A Memory

As I was reading Tropical Velvet's blog about her daughter writing a note to herself which read: "Let the lunch ladies give you gravy," my brain stumbled upon a little jewel of a memory in "me own life," dealing with hot lunch and perhaps the beginnings of my OCD tendencies. I'll share:

Back in good ole Centralia, WA, the land of my years 0-14 (save a two-week period post-birth before my parents moved from L.A. to WA), hot lunch was actually somewhat coveted. I remember the school lunch calendars passed out each month. My eyes would quickly scan to see when burritos were being served. Yes, this is pretty pathetic, but it is the truth. I loved hot lunch burritos. I thought the kids who were on the subsidized lunch program (about 90% of the kids at my school) were the lucky ones. I, on the other hand, had to bring home-packed lunches, consisting of sandwich, apple, and a treat.

(Quick memory diversion: S, my sister, and I remember the day of shame when my mom packed us raisin bread with tuna fish sandwiches. Okay, I know that I went to a very delish Cafe Barrone several months back and actually ordered this, but when I was in 2nd grade, it didn't go over too well. Sus even remembers strategically holding the sandwich so that her fingers covered up the raisins--as if she would be the laughing stock of the lunchroom.)

So back to the burritos. They usually had burritos at least once a month, and I was allowed to take a dollar to school once per month to indulge in the Ford's Prairie Elementary School burrito. This particular memory is from 3rd grade. Burrito occupied one of the menu squares, so it was my lucky day. My mom was a little skeptical after she looked over the rest of the menu for that day, which probably looked something like:

Yummy Bean Burritos
Tasty Tater Nuggets
Fabulous Fruit
Creamy Rice Pudding

The rice pudding was where she stopped. Rice pudding at a school cafeteria? WE were definitely not a rice pudding family. In fact, I don't think I had ever even heard of the concept until that moment. She was concerned that I wouldn't like the rice pudding, and that I would waste it. But, I wanted the burrito and I wouldn't back down. I assured her that I would eat every last morsel on my tray.

So I got and gobbled up the bean burrito, tater nuggets, and fruit. But the rice pudding. Oh, the rice pudding. I sat and stared at it, ate one grain, stared longer, ate another grain, stared longer, ate . . . . . . you get the picture, until I was the last one in the cafeteria. The custodian came to mop and I was still there. He put up all of the other tables but mine and did everything else he could until my table was the last of his job. So he told me that I'd have to go---afterall, the other kids had already been at lunch recess for a good 15 minutes.

A sick sense of guilt and dread waved through my body. I couldn't throw the rice pudding away. I picked up my tray and moved it to the walk-through counter area and stood and continued, one grain at a time. Finally, recess was over and it was time to go back to class; there was no longer any choice. I had to be finished. I took a huge bite, stacked my tray, and walked, recessless, back to Mr. Dunn's classroom.

Dr. Phil--whom I never watch, although I have 2? of his books (should I be embarrassed?)--talks about finding the 10 defining moments in your life. I think the rice pudding incident might be number 9 for me. After all, next month I'll be thirty and I still remember the dread I felt that day in that crusty cafeteria--when I was in 3rd grade.

To this day, I have never had rice pudding again. I've heard it's pretty good.

7 comments:

stina said...

Oh Rachel-the flood of memories from my own food-induced trauma in my youth... Can I share? My mom made lemon bars (yum), but before I could have one, I had to eat my lunch: tuna fish sandwich. I don't believe I'd ever had a tuna sandwich before, and I was not a fan. But, it was essential for the lemon bar, so I perservered. Well, I ended up sitting in my dad's lap, sans lemon bar, holding the barf can (no actual barf, but almost). I blamed my dad for years, and only tried a tuna fish sandwich again about 2 years ago (liked it! Perhaps you should go for the rice pudding??). I was seriously irritated at my dad for a long time, until I recently realized: I wasn't being forced to eat the tuna! Forgoing the lemon bar WAS an option!!

I love the visual of covering the raisins w/ fingers.

Becca said...

chi, isn't the the gravy note cute? i love the rice pudding story and remember you telling me about it before (maybe the first time i offered you home-made rice pudding?). i remember coveting hot lunches too and i HATED sandwiches for a long time, who likes that soggy fare? i also distinctly remember the little cardboard salt & pepper shakers....

i'm impressed that you took wasting food seriously. in HI edie took a lunch everyday (how have i gotten so lazy?) and it was seriously appalling to see 90% of the kids throw 90% of their lunches way (everything but the dessert you know). hey, that's the trashing the tax dollars that were probably paying for 90% of those lunches!

great post chica, thanks for sharing. and oh, the raisin fingers--totally love it!

Carina said...

We were that family. I used to carry my hot dog in tin foil and carrot sticks to school in a regular sized paper bag.
I wanted more than anything in the world to have a ding-dong or a twinkie or any treat of any kind. No dice.

I was, however, raised on rice pudding (Arroz con leche!) and I still love it. Though not the stuff in tubs from the store. There's a store here now called "Pudding on the Rice" where Frontier Pies used to be. I shall report back.

Natalie said...

Great story! I'm mostly impressed that you stuck to your word that you'd finish your whole lunch. I undoubtedly would have just thrown it away without thinking twice, and probably lied about it. Terrible, eh?
I remember those hot lunch burritos too....they *were* good! :)

Becca said...

the "yummy bean burritoes" are alive and well and still exist on the lunch menus here. ironically, e Always requests home lunch on those days because she really dislikes the burritos and lasagna (the other option on burrito days). i remember liking them though....

LollyGirl said...

Rachel,

Excellant post!! I'm amazed by the sense of obligation you felt to finish that rice pudding. I don't know many kids that would be that committed--oh maybe Henry Fillmore. Now, would your mom have followed up on the rice pudding or was that your own sense of duty?

I LOVED those burritos, too but despised the hamburgers and of course the spinach that we swore was grass and always served on the days they mowed the lawn.

HornInFBb said...

you triggered a memory for me too!
all through elementary, I lied to my mom about needing lunch money and then just skipped eating and kept it. Like, from ages 8-14 for sure, maybe beyond on both sides. I was so deceptive and independant back then... but wow, I'd forgotten the lunch thing, I'll have to ask my sweetie if he knew that :)

(I am/was so picky, there was nothing I'd agree to eat in the cafeteria anyway, expect cookies. 2 for 30 cents!)

whoa :)