5.25.2006

catching up

I feel like I'm in a constant state of catch-up. I have 6 loads of laundry piled up in my laundry room; 2 piles of clean clothes piled in my bedroom; dirty dishes on the counter; a toy room that is unwalkable due to too many toys just thrown in on the floor (this saturday=major DI haul); a birthday carnival to plan and execute (L's 4th); a business to launch; product photos to take; photos to upload; descriptions to write; bills to pay,,,,,,,,blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.....

But sometimes it's nice to just realize that none of that really matters. Leah's preschool graduation was this morning--it almost brought me to tears....I think I'm becoming my grandma. IT WAS JUST A 1ST YEAR PRESCHOOL GRADUATION! Jon remarked (in response to my near-tears) that it is the first of MANY graduations, and that it really isn't a big deal, as cute as it was. But then that fact makes it an even bigger deal. The fact that my smudgy darling L. Bluette is now on the life track of accomplishments, recitals, camps, graduations--basically INDEPENDENCE. And kooky Giggabot will soon follow. What's a mom to do?

So, TO HELL WITH THE LAUNDRY! down with the piles....forget the toy room....I've got to catch up with my kids!

P.S. Right now L is involved in one of her hour-long Barbie reveries where she invents names, opinions, arguments, conflicts between one Barbie and the next. The Barbie names always crack me up. Right now they're Fronjia and Neena and Tulah and Tallulah, and they don't like boys because boys don't like sparkly outfits. WOW! She's a girl!

9 comments:

Phoebe said...

That's the best part about a blog. It's a journal cop-out.
We are so glad that you made it down for HD's birthday party. It was fun to see Leah bowling!

Carina said...

That's exactly the mom I want to be. Or am.
My mom was always so concerned with how the house looked that she rarely had fun with us, so it's my aim to have a blast and not stress.

Rachel said...

update: during a harrowing, traffic-filled trip back from davis (4 hours post blog)--and a very fun bowling birthday party for HD--thanks, phoebe--L whined the entire way home about being too cold, too hot, sad about not getting to ride in the stroller on the way out of the bowling alley, and her birthday (tomorrow) wasn't going to be fun, and said she was sick, and when I asked her "with what?" she said, "I can't tell you because it would make you cry," and she was screaming because my music was too loud--and it was too loud because i purposely wanted to drown out her whines--I was singing a song from the Rent soundtrack, and suddenly imagined myself onstage and singing my untrained guts out and loving every minute of it. and that fantasy lasted a little while, until i got home, when esther crawled out of her diaper, and while i was detoxing from the car ride by checking my email, she decided to poop on the carpet, i thought to myself, "BRING ON THE LAUNDRY ANY DAY!"

kristib said...

Isn't that always how it works? I have these great peace-filled moments where I think my child is the most wonderful, most darling thing ever and then not two minutes later he reminds me he is 100% boy, has a mind of his own, and is most definitely NOT perfect! Hopefully we have more of the peaceful moments in the long run.

Rachel said...

yeah...maybe it happens to keep us in check, so we don't think that we're so great after all. All I know is that I was loving my Broadway Debut in the car---and it was the most important thing to me at that moment. My kids were a distant second.

HornInFBb said...

yeah, my peaceful, joyous, glad-to-be-home-with-them days are never too many in a row before the tortuous anywhere-but-here days come back. but I hope it's at progressing towards the positive, on the whole.

Bluebell said...

I usually have those peaceful sweet thoughts/moments when Owen is sleeping. And then he wakes up and reality hits. But I love his guts nonetheless. I love how real you are, Rachel. See you next Saturday!

Becca said...

chi, i love the gallon story, that is too funny. i'm with ya on the total MOUNTAIN of laundry, the unkempt house, the struggle to give kids the attention that really only they deserve. you're one of the best moms i know.

Geo said...

Tallulah is the name of the little female hummingbird that has twice (that I know of) come and perched on our feeder outside the dining room window for a half-hour at a time. She is darling. She doesn't seem to like boys either, but the boys sure fight over her.