4.26.2006

Long Time No Blog

I've been taking a little blogging hiatus. (You may or may not have noticed.) It has actually been quite refreshing. Don't get me wrong; I have loved blogging, and the acquaintances I've renewed through it, the friends I've been able to keep in touch with, and the new people I've been able to "meet" via this medium. I've also loved being able to sit and write---and to have a reason to do so. I used to be a major journal-writer, but I gave that up at about the time I got married. Don't know why, just didn't take the time. So it's been really amazing for me to reconnect with my "writing self" and think about the perfect word in a sentence--because my two lovely gills don't really care about perfect words yet, a great image, etc...and venting via blog has been fabulous too.

But, I think there are a few blogging drawbacks that finally forced me to cave a bit. And maybe I'm alone on this, and maybe I'm not, but regardless--I felt a little strangled by blogging.

MY personal BLOGGING BEEFS:
*I found myself thinking, "what can I blog about today?" more often than I should have. This made me feel slightly pathetic.
*I found myself thinking, "I HAVE to blog about that!," as if a wonderful/frightening/amazing/emotive experience was only legitimized by blogging about it.
*I found myself divulging more info than I should have on my blog. (Think Brazil?) Somehow, telling the "world" something personal on my blog was frighteningly easy. Just let my mind flow, hit publish, and voila! there I am up close and personal. YIKES!
*I was blasted by negativity from one lurker in particular, and through that realized that what I was writing was being read by more people than I ever intended. And that makes me uncomfortable.
*There are tons of freaks in the world who fill their days as computer predators. Am I endangering myself or my family? I know that sounds paranoid and extreme, but all of these heinous Dateline specials on internet predators (there's another one tonite!) have given me cause to pause.
*I was spending too much time blogging. I wanted to keep up with several different blogs, and that takes a lot of time. At the end of the day, I didn't like realizing that I had spent maybe an hour (more sometimes, less sometimes) blogging. The world is too real and immediate and important to spend so much time on the computer, right?
*I crave friendship and connections and women to converse with and I find myself in a bit of a vacuous setting for that right now (some fabulous exceptions 20 miles away duly noted). So blogging has been a great outlet to feel more connected. But why am I not out in my community more, trying to strengthen myself where I'm at?
*I'm also in the throes of starting darlybird.com, and quite honestly, that has taken so much of my time, and i've been LOVING it. (watch for a summer launch date TBA!)

I don't know if this makes any sense, or if any of you feel the same way or have the same reservations. I value the friendships I've made and rekindled via blogging. I really do. I wish I lived near all of my fun friends, bloggers and non, and that I could throw wildly wonderful parties every month (or week, or day!) and be with so many great people--in their presence. Computer presence is not enough.

So, I will continue to blog. I think the good it's done for me outweighs the bad. I just need to be more careful about my time, my personal info and boundaries.

If anyone has any great answers to this conundrum, please fill me in on the process. I've just kind of been through blogging detox, and I think I'm ready to put one foot back in the door.

10 comments:

stina said...

I feel where you're coming from. I'm considering changing the name of our blog in order to keep our name more anonymous. I also relate to the time-suck of the computer, in general. Sometimes I can spend hours on the thing w/o actually accomplishing anything important. Yikes. But, for me, blogging is a fun outlet and an easy way to KIT with the distant family about our day to day.

Geo said...

I think it's a cyclic thing. Every now and then I find myself itching to click the suicidal "DELETE BLOG" button. So far, every time I've been ready to abort the mission, somebody has left a comment that has re-engaged me in the project, or something else has prompted me to stick around and say a little more when I felt ready.

Anyway, I noticed you weren't around. Nice to have you back.

Becca said...

Chi, I have totally missed the glimpses into daily life that I don't get over the phone or even in email but I totally understand the reservations and have mixed feelings about blogging too. If you recede for a while (or for good--perish the thought!), I'll just have to find some other way to fill the Chi Gap!

p.s., I really want to talk to you about darlybird the biz. I LOVE that you're lovin' it and I'm thinking again of possible moondog products. Anyway, let's talk!

kristib said...

I've been thinking about you lately because I teach dance classes to 3-5 year-olds and one of the girls I teach looks eactly like Leah. Her name is Madison, but I find myself wanting to call her Leah all the time- the short curly hair, the big eyes (only Madison's are Esther blue), it's really pretty crazy. Anyway- good to see you're back.

Rachel said...

geo--i absolutely love your description of the "suicidal 'delete blog' button"--i've been there, too, but haven't...

you're right, kristina, about the importance of keeping in touch. i just need to be more careful.

and becca, talk, yes let's, anytime, anyday. i'd love to help in moondog pursuits.

and kristib--how i wish that my little leah could be in your dance class. it's almost worth relocating for! she is such a born dancer---and often makes me put "jesus take the wheel" by carrie underwood----thanks nie nie for the tip-----on repeat for hours at a time. she throws her hands up in the air when carrie sings "she threw her hands up in the air" etc. her twirls are amazing. i think i should get her enrolled.

Phoebe said...

I always say, "Moderation in all things."
Glad to have you back.

Natalie said...

I completely relate to everything you've said about "blogging". I think I've just found myself so busy lately (with nothing more than usual daily life), and there doesn't seem to be anything worth-while to note. I will get back to mine soon though. I think I'll probably go through phases of writing too. I'm definately not an everyday writer. There has to be something significant or interesting for me to post.

Glad you're back though...I do check everyones blogs most days though. I love reading up on everyone!

Carina said...

Dear Rachel,
As with any medium if it's not in moderation, or becomes an unmeetable obligation, it must be put in its proper place. No matter when or how often, I'll always like reading about your life and pursuits.

Carina said...

But you said "ANY" desired college degree and I want a J.D. but it wasn't listed. Please let me know as I'm making my mind up shortly.

Rachel said...

carina--

that's hilarious! i didn't even know that comment was there, and i got your comment in my email inbox and i was so confused because i couldn't remember talking about any college degrees.

i think i want a phd in home ec. do you think they offer that?