3.26.2006

because these two apply...

i thank You God for most this amazing
day:for the leaping greenly spirits of trees
and a blue true dream of sky;and for everything
which is natural which is infinite which is yes

(i who have died am alive again today,
and this is the sun's birthday;this is the birth
day of life and of love and wings:and of the gay
great happening illimitably earth)

how should tasting touching hearing seeing
breathing any--lifted from the no
of all nothing--human merely being
doubt unimaginable You?
(now the ears of my ears awake and
now the eyes of my eyes are opened)

--DJ e.e. (cummings)



Something to look forward to

Menopause--word used as an insult:
a menopausal woman, mind or poem
as if not to leak regularly or on the caprice
of the moon, the collision of egg and sperm,
were the curse we first learned to call that blood.

I have twisted myself to praise that bright splash.
When my womb opens its lips on the full
or dark of the moon, that connection
aligns me as it does the sea. I quiver,
a compass needle thrilling with magnetism.

Yet for every celebration there's the time
it starts on a jet with the seatbelt sign on.
Consider the trail of red amoebae
crawling onto hostess' sheets to signal
my body's disregard of calendar, clock.

How often halfway up the side of a mountain,
during a demonstration with the tactical police
force drawn up in tanks between me and a toilet;
during an endless wind machine panel with four males
I was token woman and they with iron bladders,

I have felt that wetness and wanted to strangle
my womb like a mouse. Sometimes it feels cosmic
and sometimes it feels like mud. Yes, I have prayed
to my blood on my knees in toilet stalls
simply to show its rainbow of deliverance.

My friend Penny at twelve, being handed a napkin
the size of an ironing board cover, cried out
Do I have to do this from now till I die?
No, said her mother, it stops in middle age.
Good, said Penny, there's something to look forward to.

Today supine, groaning with demon crab claws
gouging my belly, I tell you I will secretly dance
and pour out a cup of wine on the earth
when times stops that leak permanently;
I will burn my last tampons as votive candles.

--Marge Piercy

(and I know the last one is slightly graphic, but if you can't laugh at some of the images, i don't know what to tell you...and I think of the votives every time my rainbow of deliverance shows itself...)

5 comments:

HornInFBb said...

yeah, i liked a couple images but on the whole didn't like these picks.. sorry! :)

Lindy Johnson said...

chi . . .2 of my ALL TIME FAVORITES!! I remember reading Piercy when we were at that camp out in flaming gorge. and then memorizing the e.e.cummings poem in 251. fun memories!

Rachel said...

and remember kodachrome basin, where i gave you guys those little booklets with all of the poems? oh wait--i just realized that you didn't get to go on that trip. i think you were working at the byu bookstore and couldn't get off. hilariousness. but yes, flaming gorge. good times.

Natalie said...

those are both great. the second is hilarious!

Geo said...

My mother and I read e.e. cummings together when I was growing up. I spoke at her funeral when I was 30 and read this poem as part of a tribute. Very tender. A favorite of favorites.

Poem #2 is the real deal. Love it.