2.27.2006

a few funny things...

*leah, post-saturday-night bath, pranced naked out of our bedroom where she had been hiding for a few minutes and said: "daddy, do i look different?" and then i heard a huge gasp . . . and i ran, and saw a little girl with a curly mullet, kind of cindy lauper/boy george style (one side long, other side really short). curls littered the bedroom floor. i couldn't help but bust up; it was tragic, yet hilarious.

wish i had a camera, because it would have been so priceless. dang, that canon! anyway, i swept her into the bathroom and did a little here-a-little-there-a-little snipping and !viola! she is a new girl. i was worried that she was going to hate it....about 13 months ago i decided to cut her hair short because it was getting pretty gnarly/nappy/dreadlocky. and right after i did it, and she saw the new her in the mirror, she started sobbing, "i look like a boy!" i answered, "you look darling and girly." she sobbed, "i look like a girly boy!"

this time around, she cried for a minute and then started dancing around. i said she was a pixie, and she loves that idea.

awhile later, as jon was tucking her into bed (he always does, and that's one of the reasons i married him, because i knew he was going to be the tucker-inner type, and as i type this i realize that i'm really missing out because the person who tucks in is the person who is the most special, but oh well...), i overheard him ask her, "how did you get this idea [to cut your hair]?" one word answer/giggle: "mulan." dang disney! funny thing number 1.5: i initially typed "damn disney," but then edited myself because i don't swear in word or in print, and only at drastic moments, i spell swear words. as if that makes it okay or somehow immune to the whole dilemma. it works for me; maybe you should try it too.

******
*we (me, leah, esther) stayed home from church on sunday because i was tired/apathetic and had a trace of a sore throat. let's just say that i needed to chill. so we chilled. and, in a moment of wanting to maintain some sunday holiness, i told leah that sunday is a day to thank Heavenly Father for our bodies and our spirits. next thing i knew, she was out dancing in the peace room, singing, "Heavenly Father, thank you for my body and my spirit." It was priceless...so I ran out and told her that I love her SO MUCH, and then she smiled and said, "Mom, when you were a baby, we were best friends." Couldn't help but think that our spirits ARE the same age, and that we ARE best friends (and no, i'm not going to be the non-disciplinary mom who helps her daughter sneak bad behavior under the dad's radar . . . i just don't think there's anything wrong with being a best friend of your kids and still being their parent figure, ok? maybe i watch too much gilmore girls.)

*************
*a few means at least 3, and i can't think of another funny thing to save my life. so, i'll tell you what i'm listening to at this very moment: jack johnson's curious george soundtrack. i went to noggin.com to print off some coloring pages for leah in a moment of desparation this afternoon, and i saw that you could listen to said album in its entirety. so i clicked, and now i'm listening for the second time. i recommend it. i especially love the sondre lerche remake and the lullaby . . . it's very mellow. ENJOY! Here's the jack johnson link.
********************
oh! one more un-funny thing: i got the most awesome table at target for $27.99 on saturday. it was 90% off in the global bazaar section. it was a minor miracle that no one else figured out that it was THAT cheap. it's a black lacquer table (shiny) that seats 6. i'm pretty happy about it. mostly that i got such a rocking deal. now all we need to do is save the $10K to do the kitchen remodel so we can fit a kitchen table into our kitchen. minor detail. i'll keep you posted.

9 comments:

Carina said...

WOW, congrats on the table, what a score.

I can't wait until Leah gives Estie a haircut. Surely you'll have a camera by then?

Lovely to see you again, dear Rachel, come back often.

Stephanie Aurora Clark Nielson said...

i want a pic of the haircut!

Phoebe said...

We got the Curious George sountrack, or rather Henry got it for Valentine's Day. I'll let you borrow a copy? If you catch my drift.

Bluebell said...

Yes, we need a photo of that haircut. I'm not sure how old I was--3 or 4?--but I cut my hair and my eyelashes once when I was mad at my mom. Somehow I thought it was the perfect revenge.

Rachel said...

chantel--doesn't it suck why you do something thinking it will harm someone, and it ends up harming you? not that i'm trying to harm anyone lately, but reading about your eyelashes and hair makes me laugh because somewhere deep inside me i've done things like that (to no avail) even though i can't remember specific instances.

ph--i already burned the curious george soundtrack last night. i couldn't keep that noggin.com window open forever, ya know? thanks to allofmp3.com, i only had to pay about 1.27 or something odd like that. thanks anyway.

HornInFBb said...

so glad to see you back! It seems everybody's been sick...
I'm very thankful for a husband who handles bedtime too. And i guess there's a plus side to having a kid who's still scared of haircutting.

Lindy Johnson said...

go out and buy yourself a camera, pronto! i want to see cute little leah! i'm so happy you posted; i was kind of going through withdrawal!

Natalie said...

Funny, funny Leah! I want to see pictures. I love how you write...I can envision everything so well. I miss you guys! :)

I've got to get over to target! I've been eyeing the global baazar stuff, hoping the sale would keep going down. I bet by now it's all crap.
But....your table deal is so familiar to me. I got a global bazaar table at target for super cheap several months ago too!!! Aren't WE lucky girls!

Geo said...

I love the "when you were a baby" story. And I feel the same way about "few".