12.04.2005

Requesting Fun BABY SHOWER advice

So I absolutely HATE shower games....I feel like they demean women to sniveling idiots fighting over whether the green jar of baby food is green beans, zucchini, peas, or mixed vegies. Don't get me started, don't even get me started on the candy bar melted in the diaper one---to guess which kind of candybar poop it is....oh my. Sorry if I'm offending anyone right now who has thrown a baby shower and felt inspired or obligated to play either of these games. I've thrown several baby showers, none with games. Sometimes I'm greeted with absolute disappointment, "where are the games? that's the BEST part of showers!" and sometimes, like-minded individuals are relieved and thrilled that they don't have to take part in such antics. This is where my plea comes in:

Have you ever done anything at a shower (besides eat delectable earthly delights and give advice for the mom-to-be----which is my typical shower agenda) that isn't about poop or baby food or melting an ice cube with a plastic baby inside, do you get my drift---that was fun or worthwhile? I have a feeling that some of my new ward members will be disappointed that I'm boycotting games and not serving apple tarts with surprise ingredients (cheetos in the crust, yes really--and at a baby shower!) So if you've got anything great, or even a baby shower horror story, let me in on it...

another thing--i don't like the game where you feel the paper bag that has babycare items. nope. done that too many times to care.

7 comments:

Natalie said...

Hey Rachel! I really like designing onsies for the new mom. I've done it where we all get a new white onsie and the host had a bunch of different colors of that fabric paint and stencils and stamps. They turned out really cute. And of course the mom got to take them home as a little memento. I've also done a similar one where the host brought stampin' up stamps and the fabric ink that goes with it. They all turned out ADORABLE!!

Carina said...

Onesies! What a great idea. I've also helped tie a quilt. I despise shower games. I hate hate hate the "make a wedding dress with TP" game.

Have you done the game where everyone cuts a piece of yarn and whoever cuts the piece that fits best (being neither too short or too long) around the mommy-to-be's belly wins a little prize? Yes, it's still a game that's been played 10000 times, but it's fast, not intrusive, can be accomplished in conjunction with other activities.
You could do a word match; matching baby names to the meanings.

Ok, enough with the games. I seriously hate them.
You could buy wooden toys or blocks and have everyone paint them with the alphabet or just decorated. I've heard of showers where people make scrapbook pages for the mom so all she has to do is slip in the photos (assuming she's into that.)
I know of casserole/frozen dinner showers. Everyone brings a dish already frozen so the new mom just needs to defrost.

~j. said...

I realize that I'm coming in late on this one, but I have a good game...email me so I can tell you about it (it's a secret): jeckton@marykay.com

m-l-e said...

a bingo style game where you have people answer questions about the expectant mother/ the pregnancy (when they found out, names they like, hate family names etc.) always works well and is pretty easy.. just print out some cards/ have stickers to fill in, get the dad in on supplying answers etc. Oh yah, and an awesome prize or two. easy and cheap and fun... the triple threat?

Lindy Johnson said...

hi chi,
i loved the baby shower my friends threw me in boston. it was a potluck event. so people showed up, we ate food and visited. then, we went around in a circle and everyone explained how they knew me and gave me some advice. then we decorated onesies (just like natalie described). my friend phyllis had strung all different sizes of onesies around the room using clothes pins and rope. it was cute without being cheesy. my only note of caution--i had lots of artistic friends at my shower and they came up with amazing little decorations for the onesies. a few of my not-so-artistic friends created some of the most heinous onesies i've ever seen and i seriously just gave some of them to d.i.! so, if you do the onesies, have some stencils/ideas available. oh yea, i haven't been blogging lately because of house, christmas, thanksgiving, jobs, etc.

jrae said...

I played the string game three or four times one year. It was so weird. By the last shower, I was a pro and won all the prizes. I like the bingo and onesies ideas.

Johanna Buchert Smith said...

Rachel--
Have you ever been to www.plumparty.com? Look under "Baby Shower" in Theme Parties. No baby shower game ideas here, but some cool paraphernalia, possibly favour/prize ideas. I was going to mention you take a peek at this site back when you were soliciting reactions to your own store, but just lurked instead...;} Two cool ladies started it online--I was working on making a book with them when I left my job. I especially like the little felt bags and neoprene bottle totes.