11.17.2005

What's a girl to do?

I'm in a funk...yes, a funk. Have you ever been there before? If no, stop reading now and never come back to darlybird. If yes, keep reading and then give me your best tips to remedy my situation.

No, life is not falling in on me. No, nothing really disastrous has happened. But nonetheless, I'm not super motivated to accomplish anything right now. I have millions of creative and artistic projects that, on rare days with free time, would summons me from any pit into complete productivity, but....hmmmm....I had a good 1.5 hour stretch with no chittlins at my ankles, and I really didn't do ANYTHING except watch a few segments on the TODAY show. I have really yummy and healthy meals planned for this week, but I haven't wanted to cook. Bring home Chipotle tonite, Jonnie Boy! I've tried to think of blog topics, but they've been eluding me. So I decided to make the funk the topic in and of itself.

The daily-ness of motherhood is sometimes hard on me; I can be fine going along with the simple plan and schedule until I realize that my life is dictated a little too much by naps, attitudes, and limitations. However, I have no greater joy than in my children and I would be sad if I had to take them to daycare every day. So what's the solution? I have no clue. These are a few of my current dilemmas:

1. I moved to Sacramento from Davis, and I don't have a real solid group of friends here yet. I know it's only been 5 months, but women friends are SO important to my life. I have a couple of friends-for-life types in Davis whom I try to see as often as possible, but with aforementioned kid schedules, it's hard to navigate the more spontaneous moments---which is what motherhood is often about.

2. waah! waah! waah! I just aborted mission and decided not to list these problems. I think I'll shift gears:

A few of my current reasons to be happy:

1. I have such wonderful, individual, and eccentric women neighbors whom I love:

A. June is hilarious--with her coifed wig, lucite and rhinestone jewels, stilettos, white shag carpet, and skyscraper skyline mirror at age 70+. I bring her dinners on random nights and she sings my praises over and over for it.

B. Monika is dear--she took Leah for a walk one night so Jon and I could have 15 minutes of free time, she is addicted to Sudoku, Rummikub, and Scrabble. Last night, she hosted a MaryKay party (I think mostly to be nice to her saleslady friend). Me, Monika, and Donna (see below) laughed so hard as we did facials and make-up. The MaryKay sales lady, Rosalie, told us "inspirational stories" about her experiences at a MaryKay session with transgender females in various stages of the transformation process. She didn't get any inspirational stories from us last night! Just three women in totally different stages of life, laughing their heads off at any chance. Monika is a widow, just turned 65, and ordered herself a plasma screen t.v. on the internet yesterday. She loves "whose line is it anyway" and I love her.

C. Donna--an eccentric artist who paints on purses, is really fun to be around. She is engaging, hilarious, and compassionate. She wears amazing jewelry, bright clothing, and the brightest red lipstick she can get her hands on. Donna feels for me and thinks I'm brave for having two kids--she chose not to have children and I respect her choice. She wants me to do my business and thinks it will be great.

2. Jon taped Gilmore Girls for me on Tuesday night while I was at book group. This is a small one, but I was so happy--I had forgotten to tell him to tape it, and was crushed when I realized it at 10:05 p.m. I arrived home and Lo! and Behold! he had remembered.

3. Esther is getting her two front teeth--and it looks like she'll have a gap rivaling Leah's. Hallelujah! I just love my girls!

4. My bathroom will be done soon.

5. Jon just walked in with Chipotle.

6. I get to visit Sus tomorrow.

7. Thanksgiving is next week.

Thanks for letting me spill....maybe next time I'll be unfunktified....until then.....

6 comments:

Natalie said...

Rachel! I love how you make your "funk" sound so interesting! You have such a way with words and descriptions...I can totally picture your neighbors, and feel like I know them already. You need to write a book! :)

Yes, I have funks ALL the time....I think I've been in a permanent creative funk for a quite some time. I am sooooo far behind on Altons scrapbook, it seems intimidating to even start up again.

Don't worry...I'm sure you'll be back to your motivated, creative self in no time.

Lindy Johnson said...

hey chi,
i get in funks, too. but they only last a day or two. "the sun'll come out tomorrow . . " that was cheesy, but oh well.
things that get me out of funks:
talking to my girlfriends/eating ice cream/going for a run/blasting some hip hop/going shopping and buying myself something cute/counting my blessings.

Carina said...

I've been in a funk for a few weeks. Not sure exactly why, can't be the season, because this is my favorite. Could be the no sleep and the no exercise for a month :)

On the plus side, I am painting again, which keeps my mind off of my 'in the depths of stress' comfort--food.

I have made a goal to start running again Monday. I'm due on the slopes in a month and must be in shape enough not to get hurt!

Becca said...

chi you're my fave, funky or funktified. i love the neighbors, especially if they love you.

Phoebe said...

Hey, It happens to the best of us.
(Check my blog for the gory details)
1. We have blogging. It makes me happy.
2. We live in California and the weather has been DIVINE!
3. YOur kids are funnier than your co-workers could ever be.
4. Chipotle is within driving distance.

Susannah said...

Rache, this is a great blog! Somehow I didn't read this one till now--wish we could have discussed in more detail. The thing is, they usually do only last a day or two...gotta go. See you so soon. Let's talk tomorrow about delicious recipes and plans. xo Sus