an outlet, an inlet, a time-suck, something to look forward to, an oh-my-gosh-did-i-just-make-that-public? platform...basically my life in a nutshell. welcome.
11.13.2005
a peak at the soon-to-be-finished bathroom project....does this whet the appetite?
This shower is going to be so heavenly to be in! You'll want to just stay in there forever. That's how our's felt in the Cedar house basically until we moved--like I was on vacation or in some Italian spa. I love the blues--it is beautiful. Way to go on doing it yourselves!
the process has taken MUCH longer than we anticipated....this set of tiles were paper faced, so it made it super hard because we couldn't see how they were setting until after the mortar had already dried....and getting the paper off the tiles is a whole nother story in and of itself. so basically, after the mortar had dried and the paper was off, we realized that we had used too much mortar in some places and it had seeped in between the cracks and hardened...so the chiseling began. and that was freakin' tedious and painful! for our red blend in the kitchen, however, it is going to go really fast because the tiles are mesh backed. we'll be able to see what's going on AND we won't have to peel off the paper....which was an insane mess and too tedious as well. so--word to the wise: do not buy paper faced tiles! it's weird because i don't think hakatai is even selling them anymore...obviously we weren't the only ones who encountered difficulty in the process.
That's going to be an awesome shower!! I can't believe you are doing it yourself. How do you find time to do it with the kiddos? I'm curious, because I can't get anything done with my little ones around. Give me your secrets! I'd love to have your motivation and drive. :)
Thank you for doing all my projects in advance and letting me learn vicariously. I'm so glad you mentioned the mesh backed tiles. I have a tendancy to go for the cheapest options, so I'm glad to know that the mesh backed are far better. The good news is that we're starting the house hunting process. Hopefully I'll have my own mosaic project done this time next year!
that is so exciting! i hope you'll get the perfect mcm house that you've always dreamed of fixing up. if you want lois lewis' contact info....
make sure you start watching hakatai's sale stuff. they have a beautiful blush iridescent pinkish/peachish color on sale right now. also, interface flor's carpet tiles are 25% off...i just got an email and i'm tempted to plunk down some moolah for the perfect area rug...
chi, love the tile. can you come and help me redo my bathroom in my house now? i'm also looking for cool places to get new letters and a new mailbox (the ones that attach directly to your house) so if you have any good links/ideas, let me know!
8 comments:
yes, where's the kitchen in the queue?
It's GORGEOUS!
Were they as hard to lay as I've heard? Not that that would deter me, but I like to know the grisly details heading into a project.
This shower is going to be so heavenly to be in! You'll want to just stay in there forever. That's how our's felt in the Cedar house basically until we moved--like I was on vacation or in some Italian spa. I love the blues--it is beautiful. Way to go on doing it yourselves!
carina--
the process has taken MUCH longer than we anticipated....this set of tiles were paper faced, so it made it super hard because we couldn't see how they were setting until after the mortar had already dried....and getting the paper off the tiles is a whole nother story in and of itself. so basically, after the mortar had dried and the paper was off, we realized that we had used too much mortar in some places and it had seeped in between the cracks and hardened...so the chiseling began. and that was freakin' tedious and painful! for our red blend in the kitchen, however, it is going to go really fast because the tiles are mesh backed. we'll be able to see what's going on AND we won't have to peel off the paper....which was an insane mess and too tedious as well. so--word to the wise: do not buy paper faced tiles! it's weird because i don't think hakatai is even selling them anymore...obviously we weren't the only ones who encountered difficulty in the process.
That's going to be an awesome shower!! I can't believe you are doing it yourself. How do you find time to do it with the kiddos? I'm curious, because I can't get anything done with my little ones around. Give me your secrets! I'd love to have your motivation and drive. :)
Dear Rachel,
Thank you for doing all my projects in advance and letting me learn vicariously. I'm so glad you mentioned the mesh backed tiles. I have a tendancy to go for the cheapest options, so I'm glad to know that the mesh backed are far better.
The good news is that we're starting the house hunting process. Hopefully I'll have my own mosaic project done this time next year!
that is so exciting! i hope you'll get the perfect mcm house that you've always dreamed of fixing up. if you want lois lewis' contact info....
make sure you start watching hakatai's sale stuff. they have a beautiful blush iridescent pinkish/peachish color on sale right now. also, interface flor's carpet tiles are 25% off...i just got an email and i'm tempted to plunk down some moolah for the perfect area rug...
chi, love the tile. can you come and help me redo my bathroom in my house now? i'm also looking for cool places to get new letters and a new mailbox (the ones that attach directly to your house) so if you have any good links/ideas, let me know!
Post a Comment