11.07.2005

Leah and the Jesus set




I've known I was going to buy this Playmobil nativity set since before Leah and Esther were born. My sister Sarah introduced me to it several years ago and I knew that it must be mine someday. So this year, strolling the aisles of Target, I purchased the coveted Playmobil. It sat in my "presents stash" for a couple of months; Friday, after Halloween was well said and done, I noticed the nativity, and got it out. Leah and I spent an hour happily putting the robes and crowns on the wisemen, the regal gear on the camel, and set it up just like it is in the picture. As we were doing this, Leah said the cutest thing I've ever heard: "Mom, this is making me so happy it tickles!" I was tickled with her joy.

We placed the nativity set on the fireplace bench in the Peace Room. I laid down the law: "This toy is very special. It absolutely, positively has to stay here in the Peace Room." She responded, "Okay, mom." (That lasted only a few minutes, since she now somehow weasels taking at least one character with her to bed each night.) Leah was thrilled when Oleanne and Abram came over an hour later. They loved playing Jesus. Leah even figured out how to take the beards off of the wisemen and turned them into "girls." She pulled Mary's braided hair-do off and put it on the wiseman with pink and purple robes. Now she has two girls (Mary is OBVIOUSLY a girl, with or without braid, since she has boobs.) I imagine there was more than one woman there that holy night, so I doubt that Leah's "feminizing" of the story is really off base. The kiddos went out to the trampoline and were playing something totally different; several minutes later, Leah came bursting through the sliding door, not even stopping for a moment when she commanded Arinn, "Shut the door, Arinn." She was gone for a couple of minutes, and when I called to her, "Leah, what are you doing?" she answered, "Just checking on Jesus."

14 comments:

Becca said...

very cute. i love the happy tickles!

Anonymous said...

Rachel-
This is the other Rachel Schutz! I was just responding to let you know how much I enjoy reading your blogs (is that what they're called?). Mom told me about your site and I just love it! Ryan and I both read it. You need to be an author, you just have a way with words! And we love keeping up with the cute things the kids do. You and Jon are such wonderful parents. Hope to see you soon!
~Rachel

Natalie said...

That is the cutest story! I totally remember feeling so happy it "tickled" when I was young. Give Leah a big hug for me....I miss that little girlie! :)

Rachel said...

rachel, the real, original rachel schutz:

i'm so flattered that you and ryan are reading my blog! sometimes i stop and think about the things i'm writing and i realize that i'm putting this on the net for everyone to see. am i crazy? maybe....but, i'm glad that you and ryan are among my readers... i think you're both "TOPS!"

Anonymous said...

Rachel

That is a darling set. Guess I am off to Target tonight to try and find one. What a wonderful experience. Did you get a digital camera?

Phoebe said...

Gotta love Playmobil! I will forever be in the debt of my older sis Bonny Brae, who got us started.
Next on your list must be the Playmobil Christmas Ornaments. So fun for a kids' tree. And the also have a Playmobil advent calender and...

Rachel said...

even though i've told jon time and time again that i'm done shopping for leah's christmas presents, i kind of want to get her another playmobil. i like them so much better than barbies (which i did succomb and buy her one at big lots for 3.99) or polly's for that matter (which i also purchased for christmas). argh!

C. Jane Kendrick said...

I have it! I have the playmobil nativity too! My mother gave them to all nine of her children for Thanksgiving one year. It may be one solid reason why my husband married me. He actually glued all the parts together in a preventative measure. Does that take the fun out of it?
I am glad Leah is enjoying it too!

Rachel said...

cjane--

i think that glueing the pieces together is fine! my prob is that i didn't, and then i expected her (for a few minutes) not to explore and shift things around. so either glue, or don't....but if you don't, expect mayhem. so mayhem i have!

Carina said...

The Peace Room. That's good. When we have enough space, I, too, shall have a Peace Room.

Susannah said...

this truly is the cutest story. i miss leah and estie and you and jon. thanksgiving seems far away

Rachel said...

to me, too. i keep thinking that we could get together before then, but then i realize when? and then it seems closer to me. let's talk about menus..."alls" i know is that i'm making the famous ina sweet potatoes with sauteed apples--that's definitely my new quintessential thanksgiving dish. yum! can we make your stuffing, too?

Rachel said...

carina--

the peace room is the best room in the house. no t.v., nice music, fireplace, books....it's the chill room. no contention, no mess. toys (except the nativity) are off limits. ahhh! peace!

Anonymous said...

Rachel, we love to read your blogs... I'm telling you, you need to publish some kind of magazine or something. You would be an amazing author. What are you guys doing for Thanksgiving? Are we going to see you?!
~Rach