10.20.2005

the road to darlybird





























When I was little, my mom started calling me "darlybird" and it just stuck. (That was when I was being darling; on other occasions, my siblings and I were dubbed "turkey trotter"s.) She mainly calls me rachel or chi or chi chi to my face, but on birthday cards and other written correspondence, it's usually darlybird.

So when I decided that I was going to open an online business selling visually stimulating and well-designed products (targeted to youngish, hippish, interested-in-entertaining and augmenting-their-environs-with-cool-and-useful-things types), I was stumped to find a name that would aptly represent my mission. Then darlybird hit me and I knew it was it. So, I set out building my ideas and my website. I went through the rigamoral to get a California seller's permit, I made business cards, I spent HOURS doing online research to find the coolest products, and I went to the San Francisco International Gift Fair in San Fran (duh!) in August. I was totally enthused and hyper about this venture. I figured I could make a few extra bucks from home while I had fun finding cool stuff for myself and some of the rest of the world. (The latter being the prime reason for the mission, although a few bucks never hurt anyone!)

But then when push came to shove and it was time to find a REAL graphic designer/web design guru, and time to order thousands of dollars worth of products, and time to get going on the actual business, I became paralyzed. Suddenly the thought of dealing with no-name customers who thought the magenta platter was more purple than pink, or the person whose vintage apron was one inch too short totally overwhelmed me. I imagined Esther purple lipped and screaming to get out of her booster seat while I shoved more Trader Joe's O's on her tray and tried to squeeze a few more minutes of work-time into my day. I didn't want my children to be the total losers in this affair, yet there was something tangible that my darlybird venture was giving me.

I realized I didn't have enough capital to start and do this thing full-fledged--and somehow doing it halfway didn't appeal to me at the time. Anyway, I kind of dropped the idea dead in its tracks; I cancelled my website service (and the website was looking pretty cute, I might add), and I didn't follow through on the leads I got from the SFIGF. Instead, I started canning, working on my house, and threw a house"cooling" party to get some of my creative energy out. Let's just say that I kind of threw myself into domesticity as much as possible. I started blogging, too, which has helped me find sanity in the long days with no adult outlet.

But yesterday, darlybird, the business, started tantalizing me again. The purple-lipped, yelling Esther is a true story from last evening at about ummmm....5:45. So where does that leave me? I don't know. [As a sidenote, I come from a very creative woman who had her own non-profitable business....I still remember my dad telling her, "Laura, you can't sell knitting machines for the wholesale price and then you end up paying the sales tax on them. We're losing money on Harmony Studios!" (cute name, huh?). My sisters have all entered the business dream, too, to greater and lesser extents...] So, I've posted some of my favorite products. Please tell me what you think. Does this stuff appeal to you personally? Would you be interested in some of my products? (no, I'm not really soliciting sales on my blog....just feedback). Friends and lurkers, if you're out there, please chime in on this one. You're my only hope.

(And btw...i think i'm going to have to order the melamine platters with or without you....and the stationary from waste not paper....and a booster seat for esther....and you get the picture....)

14 comments:

Carina said...

YES...but you already knew that. I can help you with your website as well. Drop me a line sometime when it's up and as a bondafide Internet business marketer, I will help you for zero dollars (wait, isn't this how your mom got in trouble?)

I know how you feel. My friends Tiffany and Emilie have started our own business. We're back up and running after a small hiatus. We all want to work but we'd like more flexibility with our hours and to design our own course in life. At the same time, it is extremely overwhelming to be involved in something that could get really huge, really fast.

Good luck, and I think you could be pretty successful. If things get rough, hire a part-timer or even an intern (Hey! worked for Kramerica.)

I'd buy from you because you have impeccable taste :) Go for it!

Rachel said...

What is your biz, carina? i'd love to pick your brain. and thanks for the vote of confidence and offer of help. i'll hook you up with loads o' goods....

~j. said...

I particularly love the stationary and the lazy lady magnets.

It's not always easy being an at-home business mom, but I've been doing it for almost exactly 1 year, and it's: improved my sanity, boosted my self-esteem, and increased our income. I feel like a better mom for it.

Lindy Johnson said...

chi, i love all the stuff. i will definitely be a customer! i don't think you have to worry. you can take it slowly and see how it goes. now, i'm again considering teaching at uvsc and i totally vacilate between thinking it will be intellectually stimulating and keep me in the academic world and thinking that i will be overwhelmed and thus disorganized. we'll see. it's always a bit of a struggle when you're a mom!

Carina said...

Our business is a consulting and business to business company that is aimed at helping working moms. Not enough support or recognition among women and the companies they work for about balancing family and a career.

We provide consulting to companies aimed at helping them retain their female workforce.
We also have seminars for working women to empower them and give them tools to handle their busy lives.

'Course in the meantime we still work our day jobs!

Phoebe said...

I think I'll take one of each, but you already knew that!

P.S. Bower Bird has those very cool earrings, too. You must have VERY similar taste.

Becca said...

chi, love the booster seat and the stationary and of course i'd be your customer. good luck on figuring out what to do. not now doesn't mean not ever, and then again, maybe now afterall!

i hope carina gives a link to her business because i'm contemplating going online with the orbs but feel completely stymied at the website stage (which is only the entire thing).

i LOVE seeing the stuff you pick out.

Rachel said...

jane--

thanks for such a nice comment. it made me very happy. thanks also for being a great m-i-l. it was fabulous to have you and your help this weekend on the bathroom project. jon and i have worked all day today and now i'm getting a little bathroom-weary. the last part is always the hardest for me. but, it looks great! we'll post pix as soon as we splurge for the digital cam.

Susannah said...

Rache,
I believe in you. You are going to find the right thing and possibly already have. I think you have a really good eye for finding these really beautiful and functional items. Your darlybird website has such great colors and graphics. I really think you could make this a going concern. At the same time I am so aware of the issues (cereal on the tray, baby bawling, frantic chaos) and Grandma Zane's (so cute! i can hear Leah saying it right now) comment really hit me. No amount of French Bull platters would be worth major regret. However, regrets can go both ways.... I would totally be a customer. Sign me up.
Sus

P.S. Jane, your comment to Rachel was so heartfelt and meaningful for me to read as well. What a supportive mother-in-law. She is really lucky to have such a helpful person in her life. I love how you guys always show up to help out with their moves, projects. You are great!

More Caffiene, Please said...

So I found your site through Courtney's (we must be mutual friends) and I LOVE your stuff. Yes, you should start something so I can become a consumer at once. :-)

Rachel said...

thanks "caffeine" for the feedback. are you a diet pepsi person too? i try to make a limit at one a day, but some days just call for two.....

Bek said...

Me and 12 of my friends would be buying your stuff in an INSTANT!!

HornInFBb said...

I love it all- for you. it's just not my style, but I think you have a great eye for this stuff and all these other comments show there is a market. Good luck with it! If it were my style, I'd be thrilled to suport you with orders :) But it's just not for everybody.

Julie said...

I just found your website from beks (ignore the crazy) and I would totally buy your stuff. Way cute!