9.18.2005

housecooling was heartwarming

We had the most magical evening last night; the weather was perfect, the food pretty darn good, the friends, priceless! There is something about having a conglomeration of good people together in your home. Their spirits linger long after they have left. I woke up this morning really tired, but totally energized at the same time. It felt very Crossing to Safety-esque. When Charity and Sid, Larry and Sally seem almost high after they've been together.

Jon and I worked ALL DAY on the house and preparations. Even Leah helped when she wasn't playing in the toy room or watching a little bit of Noggin here and there. It was the magical feeling of family work that my SISTER Leah always talks about. It was invigorating. We were a total team.

I was initially a little frightened to merge so many different worlds: new neighbors, old neighbors, friends, church associates, etc....but everyone was just so open to meeting new people and the energy was electrifying!

So, I'm already planning October's party. Halloween theme: October 21 or 22? We'll see...

8 comments:

Carina said...

The Streng is gorgeous, I'm pea green with jealousy.

Ok, your Neutra numbers are amazing. I was just debating over whether or not to purchase some reissues from Design Within Reach for my non-existant house. They were $60 a piece. I went with no.

I'm determined to move into a mid-century place in Provo, but they're so hard to find in our price range. We'll be seriously looking in January for a place and I'm hoping to find something. It's sad that so many have been remodeled into nasty Thomas Kincaid look alike cottages.

Rachel said...

yeah...i wanted the DWR ones, but then did some sleuthing and found that RIBBON font numbers are quite similar to Neutraface...and not copyrighted, thus much cheaper. still $27 each, but makes it lots easier to swallow at that rate.

good luck on the mid-century provo abode. let me know when you find it. and one more thing....down with the painter of light!

Becca said...

I'm totally jealous of the gathering and wish we could have chilled with you all. From what I can, you have a highly desirable dwelling! WHERE did you find that mirror? I love the windows and mostly all of your decorating touches--including the party pennants! Those things are awesome. Can I get on the invite list for October's bash?

Susannah said...

I loved hearing about the party over the phone--June and Mona etc. I told Nathan and we were laughing and wondering how we could ever pull off anything remotely as cool for all ages and types. Way to go--if anyone could do it it's you! The pictures are so great!

Lindy Johnson said...

i love all the pics you posted! the gills are darlin' and your house is amazin'! so are your cute blond highlights! i must plan a visit soon!

Rachel said...

please, everyone, come visit! becca, your invite will be the first to be mailed. and then lindy's....i need to get you girls in my vicinity.

becca--the amazingly rococo mirror (from marshall's for $12) was actually hanging in my bedroom in our last place--i kind of liked how insanely frilly it was. but then i realized it had absolutely no place in our new dwelling, so i had placed it in the d.i. box....well, after i learned the fabulous art of spray paint transformation, i resurrected it from the box and ! viola ! it works...well, sort of....the verdict is still out, but i'm currently liking it. and no harm done if it goes straight back to the d.i. box, right?

Dad/David said...

it's sweet to be in your fan club- nice work, chi.

Jordan said...

i love all your pictures. your house is beautiful. jon schutz is beautiful.