9.28.2005

feedback, please

i've found my tile for the kitchen countertop and backsplash and possibly for the bathroom shower and floor. i've been watching this website (www.hakatai.com) for their sale glass mosaic tiles. to my surprise, my ultimate favorite (the tricycle red ashland blend) is on sale this week! i'm going to get that for the kitchen (click on the first link). the second link is for the bathroom shower and floor. what do you think?

http://hakatai.com/XQ/ASP/ID.86/1.glass_tile_1/QX/Page.htm
http://www.hakatai.com/XQ/ASP/ID.219/1.cartersale-arcticblueblend/QX/Page.htm

16 comments:

Becca said...

very cool!

Carina said...

First of all, had I not met you I would have thought we were separated at birth. I love Hakatai, especially the Carter artic blue blend. This is a little freaky :)

I say you go for it. That red is really great. Although it will be a strong statement, if you keep your other colors somewhat nuetral I think it will look amazing without being over-powering. What color cabinets are you aiming for?

Rachel said...

crazy, freaky, fun, carina! i think it's so weird that we're totally on the same wave-length.

the kitchen cabs are going to be the light (nexus birch) flat front with the long skinny stainless steel tube-like handles. the floor will probably be cherry-ish laminate--i initially wanted dark wood, but have decided that in this uber-dusty valley, it wood be a nightmare! other things? an island with either a butcher-block style countertop or the premade ikea laminate countertop. like i said, cost IS a determining factor....but i'm splurging for the great deal on tile; i can't help it. thanks for the feedback!

oh yeah, my sis is going to "bek"'s house this friday for a party. i called her and asked her if she knew her and !voila! she did. what a small, small, world!

Phoebe said...

Love the red, but that might be because my kitchen is red. Go for it. I am waiting for this remodel to happen!

Rachel said...

me too, sistah! we were supposed to pick up our cabs tomorrow...but we still haven't called to make sure they're all in. which means we're not going to. so we've got to get on the BALL! i think i'm a little scared of being the general contractor.

Carina said...

The cherry is going to look so great. The red tile will pick up on the floor color which will make the cabinets almost glow! I'm excited to see the pictures.

Lindy Johnson said...

i love the red tile! my kitchen is a BRIGHT, BRIGHT, lipstick red called "Poppy" and the whole room glows. Also, my cabinets are a light oak color and the red looks fabulous. so you have my vote, too!

Carina said...

I went crazy with the colors in our condo when we moved into the place. My living room was dark red, the kitchen an overly bright yellow, green entry & hall, etc. Now I'm starting to tone things down a bit. Only one wall in the living room is still red, the rest are a lovely pale ivory. Next to change are the hall and kitchen. I'm going to work down the pale ivory paint card, this time, with a butter yellow for the kitchen and a camel for the entry & hall.

By the time I'm done with the repaint and the trim, it will be time to start looking for a real house.


As usual, it looks like I'll be painting in November when it's far too cold to leave the windows open.

jph said...

i really like the tile rachel. i also like your house. let me know if you need help installing the tile in your house. i know i don't need an excuse to visit, but it is easier to justify...especially during school. anyway, say hello to the others.

Rachel said...

ummmm...we'd love you to come (joe--or anyone for that matter!) help. i'd even pay for your airfare or something to make it worth your while. that would be schweet. watch out, i'll probably take you up on your offer.

Johanna Buchert Smith said...

Check out "Sangria" and "Pele." They won't ship these countertops to where we live b/c there's no one to install them here, (that is, ignoring the prohibitive price tag) but I bet they would where you live.

http://www.counterproduction.com/Classics/

Rachel said...

johanna-

sweet countertops. i couldn't find the price, but i'm sure it is probably prohibitive for us, too. darn! maybe when we build our $2 million "not-so-big" house. yeah right!

Rachel said...

update: the tiles arrived today and they're totally amazing....can't wait!

Carina said...

Get Out.


You're into Not So Big houses, too?

This is just hilarious.

Rachel said...

yeah. i love the not so big house concept. my mom got the book several years ago and it clicked with me. i realized that a lot of the things i "liked" (i.e. vastly vaulted ceilings, etc.) were actually things that i didn't like...she helped me see that high quality and small is better than the stucco palace.

Carina said...

I lend my Susanka books out whenever I can. I think once people read them they better understand their living spaces. If only everyone could read them, we might escape Ivory Homes Hell.

Maybe not. Worth a shot, though.