9.15.2005

do grafitti artists get carpal tunnel?

I pose this question because I have just gone through 5 spray paint bottles on my wicker patio furniture and my arm is totally gimp and i've lost the ability to grasp, pinch, etc. with my right hand. It's total degeneration. But, my patio furniture looks pretty awesome--the loveseat is "harvest orange" and the two side chairs are a lighter, springier orange. The crazy thing is that I've gone to Lowe's twice now to get spray paint, and I've run out for the second time. If I go back again, they're going to call the cops and follow me home and make sure I'm not the culprit. I also painted one wall of Leah's once neon, now not-so-overwhelming orange and pink toyroom. Color? Sugared Peach. Couldn't resist my favorite childhood breakfast. Mom--I remember you peeling and peeling and peeling pounds and pounds of Allred O'Henry's and we would eat them as fast as you could peel and sugar them. I hope that you got to eat a few---quel sacrifice...such is motherhood.

Yesterday, Leah and I painted the front bench (built-in on the front entrance to the house) a sort of yellowy-green color. We had lots of paint left-overs from some of our recent projects, and I just started mixing my own hue. It looks fabulous and matches the new green hydrangea almost perfectly. She was delighted to learn that the bench needed "two coats" and told passers-by of our "clothing" the bench. She also helped with the toy room this afternoon. She's getting to be quite the little painter girl. I love working with her.

Remind me to tell you about the new outdoor sconces I got for $2.95 each. I'm just hoping they look fab....I was thinking we were going to have to slap down at least $75 each for anything half-way decent. Photos forthcoming, promise. That blasted digital camera. Still busted.

7 comments:

Becca said...

i sure hope the camera gets fixed soon because i'm dying to see photos. i am so impressed with all the painting and with leah no less! painting seems like such a project to me and i would be totally quelled (is that the word?) to do it with a toddler? is it a total mess?
the porch, the room and the furniture sound so fun. you are my inspiration for using color!

Carina said...

Rachel Harmon,
Is that you?
Hello from forever ago!

Carina

Rachel said...

yes, carina! i just went to your blog. FUN! and you're a mid-century modern fan? let's swap resources!

Carina said...

How did I find you? I looked at Becca’s blog and I saw your name in the comments. I swear I know Becca, she mentioned Anna Nibley who I grew up with and that got my attention so I started digging around. Originally, I think it was from C Jane Run’s blog http://cjanerun.blogspot.com/ and then I clicked on Righteous Mama (Lindy’s blog) and think you’d also commented there. I think I knew a Lindy from PHS, but then again, maybe she's not the same one. It’s all so very incestuous!

Carina said...

Also, to answer your question, grafitti artists must get carpal tunnel. I spray painted a chest of drawers a few years ago and by the end my wrists hurt so badly it was unbelievable.

Rachel said...

we're on at the same time. kind of funny. lindy is awesome...lived in boston forever and is an english teacher and is back in provo now.

Rachel said...

we're on at the same time. kind of funny. lindy is awesome...lived in boston forever and is an english teacher and is back in provo now.